The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me review by Brand New

• Released: Nov 21, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Brand New: The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me

Brand News newest CD is something brand new itself. Nothing like I'd expect from them. the sound of this album is a clear sign that they have matured, you can tell by the mysic alone. The sounds of this album are by far some of the best I've heard coming from them, or any band I'd lable within the same genre that they are. The "emo" that they were slapped with back when "Your Favorite Weapon" came out. The bass line in not the sun (bass intro) is a mandatory. Each Brand New album has one. The most famous would have to be "Sic Transit Gloria". Their sound is unique, it's done by a lot of bands. but only they can pull it off.

Jesse Laceys lyrical genuius is the backbone, body, and heart behind Brand New. His wording is so obvious, simple, yet never thought of before or always taken for granted. With songs like Millstone, Jesus Christ, and Sowing Season; you can tell exactly what he feels when he writes it. The best song by far is Degausser. "Take apart your head, take apart the demon up in the attic to the left" is pure amazing. the childrens voices on the song give me a small reminder to Pink Floyds "The Wall". the reason I always have liked his music is because if you were a friend of his and something happened and he happened to write a small one liner about it in a song, you'd know exactly what he meant. Also the backing lyrics Vinnie does, period, in anysong. Could be an amazing song all by itself. Well Luca is, that's all written by Vinnie and it's my seconf fave on the new CD.

This CD shouldn't be compared to the older CDs. This is a whole new side to them. but if I was to compare it to anything, it would be a mix of "okay I believe you but my tommy gun don't" and a lot of the slower stuff they've done. I wouldn't know what bands to compare it to. Since they are their own idea, nothing like anyone else. And I love that itself. Well my CD did get stolen, and I bought another one.