The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me review by Brand New

• Released: Nov 21, 2006
Brand New: The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me

This CD is really really different from Your Favorite Weapon and Deja Entendu. They sound a lot more mature. Especially compared to the punk-pop sound of Your Favorite Weapon. You can tell they recorded this in an empty music hall. It sounds hollow and a little flat. Almost dreamlike. I also believe that on this CD, they've learned how to deliver real emotion into their music. The yells in Sowing Season and the low, almost whisper in Limousine are examples of this.

At first, I missed the way that the singers would always harmonize perfectly with eachother in their earlier albums. The more and more I listened to The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me, however, the more I liked the singing in this new album. Like I said, they really deliver emotion on this one. On "The Archers Arrows Have Broken," Jesse's voice sounds really mature and straightforward. At least, that's what I think. The vocals are different on this CD, but in a good way. As for the lyrics, they have less to do with relationships and more with religion. In a lot of the songs, it sounds as though they are struggling with religious issues. It sounds as though they want to believe in God, but they're hesitant to. There are lines like "Jesus Christ I'm not scared to die, I'm a little bit scared of what comes after (Jesus Christ)," and "When I arrive will God be waiting and pacing around his throne? Will he feel a little old testament? And will he celebrate with fire and brimstone? Yeah, I admit, I am afraid of the reckoning (Degausser)," that make it obvious that they are struggling spiritually. The title of the album itself gives it away.

I got this song last winter and I used to listen to it and watch the snow. It has a very Winter-y feel to it. Does that make any sense? like, the hollow echo-y sound of the album reminds of the dead of winter. Like snow and bare branches and stuff like that. My favorite songs of the album are Luca, Limousine, Sowing Season, You Won't Know, and The Archers Arrows Have Broken. Luca is definitely my favorite, though. Especially during the bridge. It's the way that all the instruments give way to the acoustic guitar and the soft singing. The lyrics about being at the bottom of the ocean add to that sense of being totally alone. I'm so excited to see where they go next. Who knows, maybe they'll be like Radiohead and turn to electronica for the next CD.

theused101
    i saw brand new in chicago yesterday. and it was just awesome. i cant explain it any other way. it was ****ing awesome