Your Favorite Weapon review by Brand New

• Released: Oct 9, 2001
Brand New: Your Favorite Weapon

From your first listen and forever after, post-hardcore Long Island band Brand New's debut album will have you head banging, foot tapping and generally rocking out in tune to what you will one day accept to be the most amazing noises youve ever heard. Those 'magical noises' I'm referring to are the musical stylings and lyrical compositions of Brand New frontman Jesse Lacey. From his beyond catchy punk rock guitar hooks to his emotionally stricken vocals, Your Favorite Weapon is a terifficly amazing album in every aspect. Mainly compromised of fast paced, pounding electric guitar tracks, with the occasional acoustic breakdown, the entire album is a musical adventure, sure to be a welcome change for any post hardcore/emo fan tired of todays seemingly neverending slew of monotonous wannabe bands attacking todays scene. The lead singer Jesses voice ranges from noticably bitter and resentful, to resting on the verge of tears, all conveyed through eleven beautiful tracks.

Jesse Lacey is one of the greatest lyricists the world, never mind the punk rock scene has ever seen. His cleverly constructed verses can convey anything from his scathingly vindictive anger (Have another drink and drive yourself home/I hope there's ice on all the roads and you can think of me when you forget your seatbelt and again when your head goes through the windsheild) to much more emotional feelings of betrayel and shame (they say you need to pray to go to heaven, but no one tells you what to say when your whole lifes gone to hell). Many of Brand New's lyrics have deep, personal implications which are close to many angst ridden teens, and are therefore often seen quoted in several places, from around the web to scribbled on the back of notebooks. One of Brand News most popular songs Soco Amaretto Lime was written as a new age teengae athem, boasting lyrics such as (I'm gonna stay eighteen forever, so we can stay like this forever, and well never miss a party cuz we'll keep them going constantly/youre just jealous 'cause we're young and in love). Most of the lyrics on this albuma are terifficly clever such as the 'Shower Scenes' verse (It's funny how all your worst enemies always turn out to be all your best freinds best friends). Jesse Lacey has created an album full of incredibly compliant songs which are easy to relate to and even easier to memorize, and that is one of the main reasons why Brand New is such a hit around the punk scene.

Brand New is by far one of the best Emo/Post-Hardcore bands to ever grace the scene. Your Favorite Weapon has eleven amazing tracks, the most impressive in my opinion being 'Sudden Death In Carolina', 'Seventy Times Seven' and "Soco Amaretto Lime'. If your looking for an amazing new band, pick up a copy of any Brand New CD, but be careful because it will soon become one of your absolute favorites. And as any true Brand New fan knows, no one can ever have the full experience until they see this band live, they are so much more amazing live than they are on CD, which is an almost impossible feat to accomplish.