Halfway To Heaven review by Brantley Gilbert

• Released: Mar 26, 2010
Brantley Gilbert: Halfway To Heaven

This site needs a dose of good country in the reviews section. I'm taking it as a personal challenge. If I was to define Brantley Gilbert's sound, I'd say his music is a mix of traditional country and alternative rock. Songs such as "Kick It In The Sticks" and "Take It Outside" are ass kicking rock numbers. In contrast, tracks like "Halfway To Heaven" and "Saving Amy" are based in modern traditional country. At the end of the day, Gilbert creates his own sound with his unique voice and compositional prowess. Like Eric Church and Josh Thompson, Gilbert writes or co-writes every song on this album. It creates an honest and heart-felt vibe. Songs like "Halfway To Heaven" and "Saving Amy" come across as truly emotional numbers, and I believe that's because Brantley wrote or co-wrote each song. That's tough to find in country music.

Gilbert has a tendency to get cheesy at times with his lyrics, but his songs are chock full of wonderful lines. As a singer, he's more talented than he initially appears to be. When one listens closely, they realize that he has more vocal ability than a first impression would imply. His lyrics always match the composition. There are no awkward moments on this record, and for a singer-songwriter, that's an accomplishment. Gilbert clearly understands how song structure works.

This is a very solid country album. It's not the best I've bought in the last year, but it easily moved its way into second place when I listened through the album twice today. The simple fact that Gilbert writes his songs should be appreciated. It is, by this fan. Highlight tracks include "Saving Amy", "Halfway To Heaven", "Kick It In The Sticks", and "My Kind Of Crazy". There are no let downs on this album. No filler tracks. It's full on, a-s-kicking country music. Songwriters need more attention. You won't regret it if you give it to this talented young country artist.

BwareDWare94
    Yeah, I notice some grammatical errors I meant to fix, but I must not have. Either way, this is cleaner than 98% of the reviews on the site, so I don't mind posting them. Also, if you're a Jamey Johnson fan, this comes in second to The Guitar Song. I'll be writing reviews for all of Jamey's albums very soon. I also intend to post reviews for Eric Church's albums. I have on posted for Josh Thompson's Way Out Here.
    BwareDWare94
    Come on, now, Epi. I like metal and other genres too. Ain't nothin' wrong with country. Especially if it's good country, like this album.
    EpiExplorer
    No its not that, its just.. there's no one around. Although I guess I shouldn't complain, I used to do regular shit.. but I lost the will to review since hearing the 3 most ridiculous symphonic albums in the universe in the space of a month. Might just see whats getting released soon..
    BwareDWare94
    Ah, I see. You do good reviews, so keep writing them. If you're like me, they take less than 5 minutes. That, and they're readable, which is rarely the case on this site.
    EpiExplorer
    Thanks, I like how you do your stuff, very no-nonsense. I like to blather a lot in reviews, it makes sense but only in my own head a lot of the time. Anyway, thought of a band to do, and they're a doozy.
    Paroxysm
    BwareDWare94
    Paroxysm wrote: It's a shame Jason Aldean have to use My Kind of Party as his single(MKOP was on Gilbert's first CD). I think Gilbert deserves more recognition.
    For sure. Aldean doesn't write a whole lot, and I'm not sure he even co-wrote a song on his latest album, so this is the kind of thing he gets to do. Just pick the best songs he can find.
    Paroxysm
    I think in order for country singers to have others write songs for them at least be good singers. Jason Aldean is not a good singer.
    HarvesterofPain
    Lovin' this guy. Thanks for the review, as much of a country fan as I am, I wouldn't have known about him it it wasn't for this.