Dear Agony review by Breaking Benjamin

• Released: Sep 29, 2009
Breaking Benjamin: Dear Agony

I totally agree with Brendan.Clace. This is a great album. Breaking Benjamin have been one of my fave bands for a good 6 years now. As the years have gone on there sound has changed alot since there first album 'Saturate' and they've got more melodic and heavier. This new album has taken off where Phobia finished off, and there sound is very much that of Phobia. A little too much you might say. The Whole album as a whole, does pretty much the same thing. Uses the same formula of light and heavy rock. As in instruments are heavy 9 times out of 10 and Bens voice goes in and out of heavy and melodic.

If you listen to all the albums what do you notice? When Saturate came out, it was raw grundge sounding and lyrics were random, never quite knew what he was on about. Listen to this album and it seems cupid has shot the man with a love arrow, and then gets his heart broken as all the songs seem to be about a girl. To me its a little disappointing due to being so ovious. But nevertheless, this album still has some supurb lyrics. Lights out in paticular was a lyrical treat. 01. Fade Away: Fade Away is a great opening track, with some supurb guitar and drumming. Quite heavy and has a catchy chorus. 02. I Will Not Bow: the single for the album, and its really one of the weakest songs on the album, it doesnt keep in the same tone as the rest of the album, Its grown on me alot since its release though. 03. Crawl: this is my fave track on the album. It has a slow start with Ben using his voice in a gental way then as the song goes on to the chorus he uses the full force of his voice in a great way. The Bass and guitar are really good in this song as well. 04. Give Me A Sign: this song sounds alot like a Chris Daughtry song. I wasn't really that keen on it but its grown on me alot. Very light on sound and very melodic. 05. Hopeless: another heavy song on the vocal front, with the instruments fitting really well and in keep with his vocals. 06. What Lies Beneath: a great song again, a mixture of heavy instruments, and bens voice going in and out of heavy and melodic vocals. 07. Anthem Of The Angels: this one is very different to most BB songs i think. The intro Ben has a very distorted almost creepy sounding voice. The Bass goes really well with Bens voice. And leads to a really energetic chorus. 08. Lights Out: this is one of my Faves as well, a little weird on timing for the guitar and bass, which gives the song a really bouncy feel. It also has a really good chorus. 09. Dear Agony: by far the weakest song on the album (and id proberbly say out of all the songs he's ever writen) It doesn't really go anywhere, lyrics get repetative and the instruments dont do alot either. 10. Into The Nothing: this is one of there more familier sounding songs, kicks off with a Polyamourous sounding riff. And then moves back into there new kind of sound. A mixture of heavy and light rock again. 11. Without You: another song that does pretty much as the rest of the album. Talks about a girl (i Presume lol) use's a mixture of light and heavy rock and wraps up with a little bit of orchestra at the end.

Overall for me this album is consistant and delivers a great sounding and well produced album. But for me it just missed the mark alittle. Maybe its because they seem to be etching closer and closer to mainstream. If your a fan of the band your going to love it anyway and you'll proberbly totally disagree with me. If your a new comer, buy Saturate instead. Its well worth a listen and will go proudly next to there already amazing back catalouge of albums.

JinKid
    Um Bredan Clace I'm pretty sure most of the songs are played in A# not C#.
    Phoenix322
    I'm more of a metal/hardcore kinda guy, but BB always has a track or two per album I can jam to. "Crawl" and "Anthem of the Angels" are the only songs I really like. Though I disagree with most of the reviews about the lyrics, they're painfully cliche most of the time.
    HH_Emo_666
    I really love "Give me a Sign." I didn't really like "I Will not Bow" at first but its starting to grow on me. The verses remind me of "Diary of Jane." I also loved the title track "Dear Agony." This whole cd is amazing. I mean, they kept they're same sound from Phobia. I don't think theres any songs that I can say I actually hate
    HeroicD23
    Its got about 6-7 pretty good songs. I could do without pretty much all 5 of the ballads. Thats right 5. Jesus. "What Lies Beneath" is a pretty good ballad though. All the heavy songs on the album are tight though. Love "Lights Out" and "Hopeless" and "Crawl". Even though crawls verse vocal melody is so similar to Breath from Phobia. I really miss the days of Saturate and We Are Not Alone. That was when their music had that feeling of being empowering and fun, just all around badass. Now I cant tell what to think when I hear most of these new songs. Honestly the first time I listened to the album only songs that impressed me were Hopeless and Fade Away. They have grown on me since then but still, on albums Saturate and We Are Not Alone every song just put a huge smile on my face and I still put the songs on all the time years later. Dear Agony is definitely not the same and leagues less innovative then their previous albums.
    chrismyers32
    So. I liked maybe 3-4 songs on this album. Can't remember the names. And Yes I"m a breaking benjamin fan. I disliked this album. I've yet to buy it. I don't know if I will. I've listened to the other cds enough to have even the guitars stuck in my head. I just couldn't find anything GREAT. Not one song sucked me in like the other cds. I just couldn't feel anything. I think it's because the single, and one other song sound good, then theres one more song that i forget that has it's own sound then everything else on the album seems to have the same feel and structure, and it seems like the same song with different words, and maybe a few different notes. I'm not a professional, but Thats what my ears picked up when I listened to every song beginning to end.(youtube)Idk. They did good, but to me they are getting to the point where every band hits. They are just starting to make music from structures, instead if from their minds, hearts, and lives. All well I may be wrong, music is all about opinions. (Wonder how many will flame me, even though I wasn't rude about any of this.)
    Brendan.Clace
    JinKid wrote: Um Bren dan Clace I'm pretty sure most of the songs are played in A# not C#.
    Logan_B
    shallowbay1314 wrote: Brendan.Clace wrote: JinKid wrote: Um Brendan Clace I'm pretty sure most of the songs are played in A# not C#. According to Shallow Bay (old format, cant find on new, will keep searching), his custom "BB" PRS Hollowbody is tuned to C#, and this is his workhorse guitar. Email them or Bendeth and find out for yourself, but I am 99% confident they are in C# All of Saturate was in C#, WANA was split in C & C#, Phobia was mostly in A#, with a few songs in C#, one in standard, and one in C, and Dear Agony is a mix mainly of A# and C#.
    LOL at Brendan.Clace...Here is my question to you. If Ben's "Workhorse guitar" is tuned co C# on the new album, then they would NEVER be able to have made such low sounds on most of the songs on the new album ESPECIALLY Fade Away, which is quite obviously in A#, just listen to the heavy palm muting in the verse!
    Feaksy
    pretty dissapointed by the album to be honest. and yes i'm a fan since saturate. but they really didnt change anything which was what i love about them. every album showed how they had progressed and it kind of seems like they hit a brick wall and decided to write the same kind of songs over and over. sure, there's catchy riffs and burnley's voice is still awesome, but so much of it sounds cliche and incredibly generic. half the time i was easily guessing what was going to come next in each song. plus the structure is basically the same for every track. some tracks like 'You Fight Me' and 'Home' from the old albums were my favourites mainly because they stood out in terms of structure. and i agree with some people about there being no stand out tracks. i finished listening to it and i can safely so i couldnt remember anything in particular. i saw someone saying that its its every band's goal to create an album which is consistent throughout... big no no. a band like breaking benjamin who is in the more mainstream heavy rock scene needs tracks that stand out above the rest, tbh i dont see their friends Hollywood Records being to pleased about the consistency of the album. well theres my beef. i'm not saying i didnt like the album, i just expected it to be at least twice as good as this kthxbai
    shallowbay1314