Phobia review by Breaking Benjamin

• Released: Aug 8, 2006
Breaking Benjamin: Phobia

With the new release of Phobia, Breaking Benjamin has obviously and undoubtubly continued to develop there sound. It is still the Breaking Benjamin sound we all know and love from Saturate and We Are Not Alone but all-in-all it is a brand new thing for them. The music itself is still as moving as their previous albums but in it's own new way. It's hard to describe but I have felt as if each song is speaking to me directly and when you buy the album you will to. From what I hear, Breaking Benjamin named this album Phobia because during an interview with someone (I don't know who) they were asked why they never take flights to other country's to play shows for them. Lead singer Ben Burnley respnded with this, "I have the biggest phobia of flying in a plane, so when someone complains because they don't get to see us in concert, they better suck it up, there are millions of others that don't get to see us. We're an American Band, so enjoy it."

The lyrics, as always with Breaking Benajmin, make you think about the subject of the song which is not easily hidden or manipulated. The lyrics still have that darker sound to them like in Saturate and We Are Not Alone but when you listen to them you can't help but start singing. The lyrics in compliance with the music is magic. I don't think I've ever heard a band get the lyrics so on-key with the music as Breaking Benjamin does. Especially in the Acoustic version of The Diary of Jane. Ben's voice just carries it through the song like water down a stream. Everything flows and there are no rocky points. High parts are in compliance with higher or faster guitar/bass/drums and lower parts are right there on-key as well. Ben's voice is magic.

This album is one-of-a-kind. Although it has the Breaking Benjamin sound, there are no parts which you would get confused with any other songs. Each riff is one in it's own. No one part of any song has the same sound as another which makes this band so hard to learn a song from because you would litterrally need two people to collaborate together and learn the song together. The songs themself move me into questioning things in a way I never thought I would. What I love the most about this CD is the fact that each song is different. Different topics, different feelings, different song. Makes me respect the music as a whole so much more. If I lost this CD or someone stole it, I would be devestated. Of course I would buy it again. I think this is there best CD yet.

Shallowbay666
    Breaking benjamin is mt fav band. i hope you are right in what youu said. if someone steals it, you should hunt them down and chocke them with their own colon like the person that put the first review out.=P =)
    FifteenHours
    Just as an observation, I am surprised by the amount of ppl who feel "Phobia" is lighter, or not as emotional as BB's previous outings...BB even admits to going for the heavier, darker sound...I am not saying that everyone who feels this way is wrong, I'm merely surprised by the amount of ppl who have completely different ideas on the same exact sounds. Once again, this is just an observation.