Phobia review by Breaking Benjamin

• Released: Aug 8, 2006
Breaking Benjamin: Phobia

Simply put, Breaking Benjamin have evolved, and I saw it coming. Saturate was raw force and hard riffs, simple but powerful. We're Not Alone saw more technical guitar, with a more reflective sound in the lyrics. Now, on Phobia, they have grown past that into a more dark, mature sound. They have not lost their power, simply made it more brief and controlled, adding in some softer, better vocals, to create much more versatile music. Their new drummmer also completes it even more, as he amazes me with his lines, and just the way he uses what he has in front of him. I rarely find a CD I can play beginning to end, but this CD does that for me.

Once again, Ben Burnley delivers nicely. His lyrics aren't overly creative, but his voice, combined with the band's music, make these lyrics speak to me. I found myself digging for the meaning of every song. Normally, I could care less about meanings, but with Breaking Benjamin, the songs really seem like important things happpening with someones life. Not for everyone I'm sure, but I find Ben's lyrics better with each album, along with his vocal skills.

This CD will be in my player for a long time to come, and even after I find a new CD that amazes me, something tells me this one will continuously find its way in my disc tray. Looking for the old Benjamin? You'll find it with Had Enough, Topless, and even Diary of Jane. These are, in my opinion, that harder sounding songs on the CD. My overall favorites though, would have to be Evil Angel, Until The End, and Dance With The Devil. These are the most progressive sounding Breaking Benjamin songs, and they have been imprinted on my brain as some of the best songs I have ever heard, Period. For me, best CD I've heard in years.

jake-s
    goth clash wrote: Are they gonna realease it over hear in the UK or am i gonna have to download it?
    personally im oing to download it but you can import it from amazon
    friscodude
    Ehh. It doesnt really have the unique angry/angsty feeling the previous two albums had. Sounds like most other "radio rock". Its not bad by any means, but isn't really anything amazing either. Have to say I don't like the direction taken with Phobia.