Phobia review by Breaking Benjamin

• Released: Aug 8, 2006
Breaking Benjamin: Phobia

Breaking Benjamin. Now how they keep managing to top their previous album I don't know. As almost everyone knows, the title "Phobia" comes from Mr. Burnley's Sociophobia, and fear of flying. In this new album the guitarists take a step down to drop A#/Bb tuning. As well, with their "new" drummer, Chad Szeliga, who does an amazing job, they show even more evolution with their sound.

The lyrics on these songs are by far the best BB lyrics ever. I got this feeling from "Forget It" and "So Cold" that they were heading in a good direction. Some of the moest powerful lyrics are such as "Put me to sleep Evil Angel, Why Can't I breath, Evil Angel?" Every song sent a chill up my spine with how Ben delivers the vocals, and even again with what he says. Ben gives a sort of new sound to BB with Phobia. You'll notice he isnt screaming as much as, say, Sugarcoat, or Believe. This album could have easily fit in with Wish I May, Forget it, Simple Design, and many other of their massive hits.

I love how I can say every song on the album is a favorite. However, the ones that truly do stand out the most are Until the End, Evil Angel, and Here We Are. What I love about it are how the vocals/lyrics are so powerful, and for once in BB history the percussion is unique in every song (I disliked how Hummel used the same double base technique, giving a repetitive sound). You can really hear the bass in the songs, and how Mark keeps the bass doing it's own thing, rather than following the basic root notes. Of course I would buy this album again if it were stolen. Hell I burned it on my mp3 player but I'd still buy it again.

jaymrock741
    I got a questions for the guys dissing this band or n e band normally i look up bands i like so the question is why are you looking up ones you don't?