Phobia review by Breaking Benjamin

• Released: Aug 8, 2006
Breaking Benjamin: Phobia

Although it's totally different from the first 2 albums, it's an excellent start to a new begginning. All the instruments on the album sounds very well together, but there are unfortunatelly no crazy or raw sounding effects like in Saturate. Flanger and Phaser are sparingly used. Delay is used really well in The Diary of Jane, but I really would like to hear a variety of effects in future albums. Ben Burnley was inspired to write this album from his fear of flying and touring. That's why he named the album "Phobia". The complexity of the songs hasn't really changed since Saturate, but the sound has. It doesn't sound raw anymore. I'll miss that, but once a band moves foreword, they wont go back.

The lyrics are pretty good. Many of them are generic and could fit with any BB song, but they're still alright. Ben Burnley has a great voice, but I'm gonna miss the rawness (is that even a word) of Saturate. I'm gonna write a review about that soon. Overall this album has good lyrics, but they all talk about pain. Ther are really no optomistic lyrics on this album, but it's still really good.

The Diary of Jane: very catchy song. I never get tired of listening to it, and I wont for a long time. Easily the best song on the album. 10/10 01. Breath: another hit, just like TDOJ. Very catchy. The transitions from distorted tones to acoustic/clean tones are done very well and create suspense in the song. 10/10 02. You: an OK song. The weakest song on the album. Not very memorable, but it's still alright. 7/10 03. Evil Angel: nice song. Chorous (however you spell it) is very catchy, and the harmonics fit very well in the song. Also a fun song to play on guitar. 8.5/10 04. Until the End: another one of my favorites from this album. it's perfect. Intro is awesome, solo is even better. 10/10 05. Dance With the Devil: very interesting song. Sounds different from the other songs but in a good way. Also fun to play on guitar (the whole album is, but this song in particular). 10/10 06. Topless: at first I didn't really like this song, but it has grown on me. Also very good harmonics. Overall it's a pretty good song. 9/10 07. Here We Are: for a slow/balladish song it's pretty good, but it just doesnt't stand out on this album. 8/10. 08. Unknown Soldier: good song. Chorous is kinda catchy. Not much else to say about it. 8/10 09. Had Enough: another one of my favorites next to Until the End. 10/10 10. You Fight Me: an excellent conclusion (I don't count the intro and outtro as songs) to an excellent album. Sounds like it should be in a movie. Sounds different from any song on this album, but it's really good. 9.5/10 Overall it's one of the best albums I have heard, but that may not be true for some people. But anyone who hears this should like it. I might be a bit biased because BB is my favorite band, but that came from listening to this album.

naw2
    Really good overall record, although i would say Had Enough is probably the best song Breaking Benjamin have ever released in any way shape or form