Phobia [DVD] review by Breaking Benjamin

• Released: Apr 17, 2007
  • Content: 6
  • Production Quality: 9
Breaking Benjamin: Phobia [DVD]

Breaking Benjamin's live DVD on the Phobia Collector's Edition impressed me with how well the band performed their songs live. Their wide use of studio effects would have been a setbact, I thought. The band, however didn't let that stop them. They performed almost every song perfectly. Ben Burnley, vocalist and rhythm guitarist, did mess the intro to "Had Enough", one of my favorite songs by the band. The rest of the song, however, was performed flawlessly. They open with their first single from their "Saturate" album, Polyamorous. The fans there loved it and sang along with Ben the entire time. "Home" then follows, giving a very good opening to the concert and letting the fans know the general vibe of the set list. The best part of this DVD extra is the way the tracks are organized. They are organized in a set list where each song sets up a great spot for the next one.

Content — 6
This DVD is strictly a concert, giving fans a 1st as an extra, as this is their first bonus to come issued from the band. There are no extras, it is a simple "watch concert" type disc. The only choice you really have is between sound outputs. An interview with the band would have been very nice as I, a fan, would have loved to hear from the band. I also would liked to have known the eqipment they used as I am sort of a gearhound. The DVD is content in itself though, as it does not come with every copy of "Phobia", just this Collector's Edition.

Production Quality — 9
The camera angles really focused on the band, and, from time to time, the crowd, showing how well they loved the show. Some of the tricks they used with guitars effects and even microphone effects were used very well and accentuated the band giving them a near perfct performance. The band's interaction with the fans was there, as Ben asked them to sing along with him and as he and Aaron, their lead, threw picks to the audience.

Breaking Benjamin put on a great show for this DVD, and I would compare it with groups such as Pearl Jam and Nirvana, with their liveliness and feel of the music. I loved the set list and it's arrangement. Also, the band's interaction and energy were very much felt, and I was only watching the performance. If I were there live, I would have enjoyed it ten times more. That's not saying I didn't enjoy it, though. The only thing I did not like was the lack of extras and cover songs. I would have loved to see them do a Nirvana or Depeche Mode cover like they did when I saw them in 2005. If this DVD were lost or stolen, I would panic, and most likely buy another. this is a great DVD and I reccomend it to anyone who likes modern rock.

DeathByDreams
    I come from where they grew up This absolutely my favorite band, amazing sound live, amazing songs, should be meeting them sometime in the near future, fortunately for me a guy my dad works with knows Ben's older bro, so woo!
    toolfan_121
    These guys are awesome. This is one of my absolute favorite albums ever. Heavy melodic sound. I love it.
    Metal_Hed_23
    Covin wrote: I concur. Every live clip I've seen of them has the singer's vocals EVERYWHERE but on pitch, and people I know that have gone have said he's terrible live. I don't know how they pulled it off for this concert, but it's definitely something out of the norm for them.
    notice how u said every CLIP youve seen and what youve HEARD about them.. yea ur a dumbass dont come on here criticizing a great bands live performance if you dont kno what the **** youre talking about.. breaking benjamin concerts are amazing i saw them a few months ago and i think it was the best concert ive ever seen
    3 days grace14
    This album is permanant addition to my favorites {along with all breaking benjamin DVD is cool definatly worth it