Phobia [DVD] Review

artist: Breaking Benjamin date: 05/23/2007 category: compact discs
Breaking Benjamin: Phobia [DVD]
Release Date: April 17, 2007
With its exceptional audio quality, the limited edition DVD of Phobia gives new life to Breaking Benjamin's songs.
 Content: 7
 Production Quality: 8.5
 8.9
 8.4
 9.4
Phobia [DVD] Reviewed by: UG Team, on april 26, 2007

Sound: For your latest DVD fix of Breaking Benjamin, you'll have to look to the release of the band's CD Phobia. Along with the regular CD track list found on the original release back from August 2006, fans are now treated to a limited edition DVD. While the bonus DVD is pretty much your basic live performance, the songs sound impeccable -- at times better than the recorded versions. The Phobia DVD features 15 tracks in the live show, which was shot at Stabler Arena in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. The band sounds just as strong on stage as they do in the studio, a credit to their ability to translate their work from a recording to the stage. The songs featured in the DVD span the length of the band's existence, so even those who didn't find Phobia as interesting as earlier works are likely to find a few jewels in the bonus DVD. One of the standout tracks is Topless, which showcases some fantastic guitar grooves and vocalist Ben Burnley's versatility. It stands out a bit more because of it's energy and faster tempo, but even a lower-key song like The Diary Of Jane has an impact. One of Breaking Benjamin's greatest strengths is creating a mood with each song, and they do it rather effortlessly. It's actually in the darker, somewhat slower tracks that the band is able to relay the most emotion. When you look at the audience members singing along passionately to songs like The Diary Of Jane, it's evident that the band is making a connection. Mixing-wise, the DVD manages to elude some of the problems that other bands run into when putting together a live video. It's rare that you're able to hear a good balance of all the instruments on a DVD, but Breaking Benjamin have pulled it off with this one. That's probably one of the best aspects about the DVD, and the sound systems never distract away from the performance. The clarity is exceptional in So Cold, and you can actually hear layers that were somewhat covered up in the studio recording. // 9

Overall Impression: As DVDs go, the Phobia limited edition bonus material might not blow everyone out of the water. It really does have more of a CD listening feel about it at times, and that's a compliment to the band's consistent quality onstage. It doesn't necessarily make for the most interesting video footage when compared with a lot of bands out there, but there is a strong setlist to make up for any shortcomings in the video portion. The DVD is really meant as a gift of sorts to the dedicated fans out there, and the band's devotees will undoubtedly be satisfied. // 8

Phobia [DVD] Reviewed by: Colton165, on may 23, 2007

Sound: Breaking Benjamin's live DVD on the Phobia Collector's Edition impressed me with how well the band performed their songs live. Their wide use of studio effects would have been a setbact, I thought. The band, however didn't let that stop them. They performed almost every song perfectly. Ben Burnley, vocalist and rhythm guitarist, did mess the intro to "Had Enough", one of my favorite songs by the band. The rest of the song, however, was performed flawlessly. They open with their first single from their "Saturate" album, Polyamorous. The fans there loved it and sang along with Ben the entire time. "Home" then follows, giving a very good opening to the concert and letting the fans know the general vibe of the set list. The best part of this DVD extra is the way the tracks are organized. They are organized in a set list where each song sets up a great spot for the next one. // 10

Overall Impression: Breaking Benjamin put on a great show for this DVD, and I would compare it with groups such as Pearl Jam and Nirvana, with their liveliness and feel of the music. I loved the set list and it's arrangement. Also, the band's interaction and energy were very much felt, and I was only watching the performance. If I were there live, I would have enjoyed it ten times more. That's not saying I didn't enjoy it, though. The only thing I did not like was the lack of extras and cover songs. I would have loved to see them do a Nirvana or Depeche Mode cover like they did when I saw them in 2005. If this DVD were lost or stolen, I would panic, and most likely buy another. this is a great DVD and I reccomend it to anyone who likes modern rock. // 9

Comments