We Are Not Alone review by Breaking Benjamin

• Released: Jun 29, 2004
Breaking Benjamin: We Are Not Alone

"We Are Not Alone" is a piece of commercialism biting into a band that for once had an iota of originality. While not entirely a flop, it's more of a disappointment, with only a few standout tracks ("So Cold", "Simple Design", and "Forget It") and the rest being mostly fillers. The songwriting is forced much of the time with the band seeking almost too hard to come up with catchy vocal hooks and guitar hooks, especially in songs like "Break My Fall" and "Sooner or Later". Being a die-hard Breaking Benjamin fan, I am disappointed in this effort, but I do believe that "Forget It" is going to be a huge crossover hit for these guys.

Once again, Ben Burnley comes up with some memorable lines that occasionally are a bit disjointed but, nevertheless are very good. Burnley's voice has evolved greatly, it's more polished than the last record and it sounds very good against the backdrop of over-production. The collaboration with Billy Corgan on "Follow", "Forget It", and "Rain" have produced some interesting vocal results, especially in "Forget It". Lyrics and vocals definitely counter the commercial sounding guitar riffs.

This album is not as good as "Saturate" but with putting out a second record that is as good or better than the first being such a hard task to pull off, it is a decent effort. At times it's a bit too commercial but then again, it is still a pretty solid record and worth checking out.