We Are Not Alone review by Breaking Benjamin

• Released: Jun 29, 2004
Breaking Benjamin: We Are Not Alone

Breaking Benjamin opening track and single So Cold really gets you set for hearing a new (but still eclectic) sound. If you've been a fan of the band or have heard Saturate (freshmen album) you know what I'm talking about. Not every track sounds the same, some sound simular but far from the same. It really sounds like a band effort due to the fact that they all wrote this one together, instead of lead vocalist/ guitarist Ben Burnley writing the riffs and lyrics then taking it to the band. It's really a CD you can listen all the way through without finding a bad track.

Ben Burnley has what I would call a "Kurt Cobain Tendencey" to his lyrics. He writes in an abstract manner and doesn't discuss the meanings. The lyrics have changed from Saturate. They do seem to have more of a personal meaning to them. "I'll Be There For You, Till My Heart Is Black And Blue," of Breakdown and "Shut Up, Smart Little Bitch, I Don't Need Lies," of Believe. Burnley has a low and very melodic voice. He has wonderful range and sound.

This album is genuine and original, I haven't heard anything that sounds like it. So Cold, Simple Design, Breakdown, and Rain are some incredible songs on We Are Not Alone. I don't hate one thing about this record at all. I love it to pieces. I love how it accually has a varity of sounds. And I really like how they are still a little raw. If it were stolen or lost, I'd cry then go by four more copies.