We Are Not Alone review by Breaking Benjamin

• Released: Jun 29, 2004
Breaking Benjamin: We Are Not Alone

In comparison to Saturate, Breaking Benjamin's new cd proved to carry a darker, more complicated sound. One should conclude that the majority of songs on Saturate, such as "Skin", "Polyamorous", or "Forever" have more of a punk rock cliched chord progression compared to "So Cold", "Firefly" or "Forget It". The majority of the album We Are Not Alone spoke three words to me: unexpected chord changing. Each track seemed to be laced with striking changes in tone and instrumentation. Saturate sounds more like a bubble gum punk album now that We Are Not Alone has appeared on the scene.

As with the sound of the band has grown more complicated and dark, so have their new lyrics. A little common, perhaps? These are from Saturate. If I saw these lyrics without knowing the band, about 20 could be broken down with the same lyric sound. The ryhme scheme is different, and the phrases have been lengthened to more of a sentence-structured peice of poetry. As with the compliance of the lyrics with the music, from a musically inclined perspective it was great. Benjamin Burnley (lead vocals) has the ability to transform his voice in order to keep the meaning of his music and lyrics intact and poignant. Good dynamics, Ben. His tone quality also changes many times throughout the album.

Breaking Benjamin has proven to be a band that has the ability to learn from their mistakes and better themselves. They have proved so with We Are Not Alone. Although their instrumentation now sounds a bit like Tool on some songs, even so, this type of instrumentation is rare in the "rock-popularized media" anyhow. (I.e yellowcard, dashboard confessional, sum41, blink182, ect.) "So Cold" is a good opening track and I can tell the song radiates with passion and well thought out textures. The same goes for "Forget it", and "Firefly." "Rain" is the most impressive of the songs, because it has such a huge contrast to their hard sounding tracks. Can you say flexibility? In both music and voice tone? You certainly can. So for the rocker who likes angry, poignant music, and also slow, sad, but still poigant music, purchase We Are Not Alone. Looks like Breaking Benjamin did their homework. Good job.