We Are Not Alone review by Breaking Benjamin

• Released: Jun 29, 2004
Breaking Benjamin: We Are Not Alone

I would could say with the up most confidence, the best live and studio band I have heard for a very long time. With one of the best sounds from their albums (probably because they use PRS guitars). 01. So Cold - being the first song from the album, this track needs to have that hard hitting punch to present a perfect BB aurora. This track suits very well and there is also a Live Acoustic version of this on their So Cold [EP]. 02. Simple Design - I love this song, always listening to it on my mp3 player. It has a great intro and chorus and all parts of this song just fit together. 03. Follow - can very easily recognise this song from others, simply from the intro to the song. Grear guitar riff throughout the song and lyrics work really well too. 04. Firefly - great drums and guitar work for intro and overall just a good song. 05. Break My Fall - this song has been written by Ben Burnley for his fear of flying. In the bridge of the song you can hear a crackled voice saying "Mayday, mayday. Request permission to land. I cannot control the plane. We are in danger of crashing." Definitely one of my favourite songs of the album just for it's main riff, it's just simple but effective. 06. Forget It - one of their more lighter songs from their collection however definitely not one to be missed. His voice is flawless in this track and again, the guitar suits the mood and volume perfectly. 07. Sooner Or Later - great intro with an equally good chorus. Great bass work on this song, whereas not often heard with others. Nice little acoustic part in it which builds back up into the main riff with Ben hitting some high notes in the back. 08. Breakdown - one of their more heavier songs off the album with some more bass work gone into this one. Great feel good song which will get you jumping about along with it. Definitely one to sing along too. 09. Away - again, a live version of this is on the So Cold [EP]. This song has a catchy chorus with some great drum work in it. 10. Believe - one of their more angrier and heavier songs from the start but still delivers everything that is right about BB. In my top 10 of favourite BB songs as it is one of their more heavier songs. One you can listen to over and over again and still want more. 11. Rain - almost certainly one of the lightest songs they have done on any album but still is a decent track and is a great song to finish the album with. I have had this album for some time now but stil listen to it basically every day either on my mp3 player or sat on here. Breaking Benjamin I would vote as being my number 1 band to listen too when I'm playing a game! So much energy from each song, I can translate into pure ownage on the battlefield!

His vocals are so unique and have so much feeling in them, he could basically be a poet. He has a great main stream vocal tone along with the more heavier vocals he gets to do on some tracks. I listen to BB for the music mainly so am not one for carefully tuning into the vocals (probably being because I am a guitarist) but when I do tune out of guitar mode, the lyrics are amazing. Recently he helped out on "Brand New Day", with Lifer Nick Coyle's band The Drama Club. His vocals suited that song perfectly and first time I heard it, I felt like another great release by BB.

Not much to say here really, basically as this band is pretty much my all time favourite, I would recommend this album (and others) to listeners that like Alternative Rock. Favourite songs off the album have to be "Simple Design" and "Forget it". Although in the UK I only know of 3 people that have heard of BB before I told them. I think they would have a much larger fan base if they came here but the phobia of flying may prevent this for sometime. For this reason, I haven't seen them live, but if I had the chance (and a little more money) I would definitely go!