Brendon Small's Galaktikon review by Brendon Small

• Released: Apr 29, 2012
Brendon Small: Brendon Small's Galaktikon

Lets get one thing straight Brendon Small may be a comedian, but this album is no joke. Brendon Small graduated from the Berklee College of Music, but then decided to go into comedy instead of music due to the declining music industry. Brendon started his career by working on a cartoon that eventually became known as "Home Movies" as a co-creator, voice actor and also did all the music for the show. From there he has went on to have cameos and voice cameos in many other cartoons and comedies, but has become most known for "Metalocalypse", his cartoon about an exaggerated metal band where he performed all the music and did several of the voices. He has released two full albums under the name of his cartoon band, Dethklok. The first album released by Dethklok was "Dethalbum" which debuted at #21 on the Billboard 200 and was the highest charting death metal album ever, until it was ousted by "Deathalbum II". Surely, the popularity is largely due to the popularity of the "Metalocalypse" cartoon, but it also stands up musically to all the rival 'serious' melodic death metal bands. With "Galaktikon" what you get is NOT another Dethklok album, but a concept album about an intergalactic superhero going through a messy divorce. Musically, the album would most likely be labeled as speed metal or thrash metal, and very melodic. There are 9 tracks on the album with a total run time of just over 41 minutes. Brendon Small plays guitar and does vocals on the album. Brendon began working on "Galaktikon" in his free time from his work on "Metalocalypse" and began the process around the same time as he began work on "Dethalbum II". The release is on April 29th at the same time as the season debut of "Metalocalypse Season 4". Gene Hoglan and Byran Beller play drums and bass guitar, respectively, the same instruments they play in Brendon's real life Dethklok band.

Brendon Small performs all the vocal duties on "Galaktikon", and for a change from his Dethklok albums these are actually sung vocals vs. death metal growls. Brendon's voice fits really well with the music on the album, and even knowing it is somewhat of a "joke" album going into it, I find myself taking it very serious and really enjoying it. Brendon's vocal styles do have a fair amount of range on "Galaktikon" going from soaring vocal delivery to a guttural scream (not a growl). The lyrics should come off as ridiculous as the whole concept is an absurd story about a superhero and his woman troubles, but I find they don't really detract from the music at all. While Brendon Small isn't really in competition to be a metal vocalist great like Dio or Ozzy, he does have a great metal voice with enough character in his voice to make it stand out as his own. From the track "You Can't Run Away" I've tried to transcribe the lyrics: "I am inside your mind/ ghost of your past and time/ I have condemned your soul/ you are under my control/ You can't run away from me/ I want you to know/ if you try to go/ I can detect your lies/ You're risking both our lives/ You will be content to wait/ You have found your place to stay/ You will never get way/ you can't run away from/ you can't run away from/ you can't run away from me/ I realize that I am feeling so much colder/ I realize I am running out of time". I may have made a few mistakes as this is just what I heard on a single listen, and I wasn't absolutely sure about all of it.

I was completely blown away by "Galaktikon" which to be completely honest has happened to me on the first listen to every album released by Brendon Small. I wonder how metal would be improved today as a genre if Brendon Small had went into music as his first and primary career. One of my favorite songs on the album are "Dangertits" which is an instrumental that Brendon Small has stated is a tribute to some of the guitarists who inspired him such as Steve Morse, Steve Vai, etc. I also really enjoy "Deathwaltz" and "Beastblade". There aren't really any tracks on this album I dislike, but if I had to choose the one I like the least it would probably be "Arena War Of The Immortal Masters". The story of the album is about a superhero named Triton who is divorced by his wife. He then is told a prophecy by a Lazer Witch that if his ex-wife gets into trouble he should not attempt to rescue her. In the meantime, Triton's arch enemy, Beastblade, escapes from prison and vows to get vengeance on Triton. Beastblade seduces Triton's ex-wife and Triton learns of this and knows his ex-wife is in trouble and goes to save her but is kidnapped and forced to fight in an arena against a giant worm. Triton then gets the gladiators in the arena to band together to kill the giant worm. Triton then returns to his quest to save his ex-wife (who now realizes she is in danger), and after traveling to the lair of Beastblade has a final battle and saves his ex-wife. Triton may or may not have been mortally wounded I can't really figure it out, but either way it doesn't detract from the album.

Minivirus2
    1. *****ing about subgenres is ridiculous. It's metal, that's all you need to know. 2. It's made by Brendon, thus the similarities to Dethklok would be expected. He never said he was making an entirely distinct album either. He simply said, this was a personal working without death metal vocals. Also, the only reason people think it sounds like Dethklok is because the Dethklok sounds IS Brendon's sound. 3. It's ****ing awesome and everyone should give it a whirl or two before writing it off.
    katalyzt13
    So, it has Death Metal guitars, music, vocals, etc., but it isn't death metal? I think you are arguing philosophy instead of music...
    Ibeanez
    The thing about tampons is that they should be changed once in a while. They are disposable. Don't worry, they'll make more.
    EpiExplorer
    Minivirus2
    I forgot this dropped last Sunday and literally said "Holy ****!" aloud, at work. I listened to a couple tracks a few weeks ago and it sounded great. I'll definitely be picking this up at my earliest convenience. Brendon is an awesome musician and shuld think about releasing a serious album too, as he's now probably garnered a large enough following to have pretty good sales. This, being a concept (a jokingly one at that), may not quite hit home with some fans.
    ne14t
    I enjoyed it, I went in knowing it wasn't Dethklok related and I liked that, really helped show Brendon is not a one trick pony.
    AnEvilWalrus
    This album was better than I expected it to be, to be honest. For some reason I didn't expect a whole lot from it but it definitely blew me away.
    fartsyjoe420
    i gave this album a listen after hearing about it on a radio show the other day. i'm not a metalocolypse fan really. i don't dislike the show, but never really got into it. as far as the dethklok albums, i always thought they were a pretty solid element of the show, nothing too special by themselves. so i listened to this album the first time through, not knowing what to expect. and i'm glad i didn't have any expectations, because they would have inevitably been very wrong. the first listen - i really didn't find anything that i loved or hated, but i noticed how strange i thought his voice sounded on these tracks. i thought it stood out in front of the music so oddly that i surely wouldn't be listening to this album too much more. so i made it through the album and thought there was a few memorable spots throughout, especially the last track 'on my way' which i thought was a really solid track. so i went on with my life, nothing gained or lost. but the next day i still had the last track stuck in my head and decided to throw the album on again. BAM. ****ing loved it. the voice fit. the riffs were melodic and thrashing. choruses were unique and catchy as all hell. i can't really compare it to anything that i've heard before, and i'm not sure that i want to. it's a very unique album and brendan gained at least one new fan for life with it. i've since listened to this album 5 times today alone and just wish it was longer.
    priestfan76
    Fuck you if you don't think there's anything death metal about Dethklok simply because it's funny. What about Cannibal Corpse lyrics aren't ridiculous and funny? Death Metal lyrics are laughably bad and predictable, I appreciate someone taking the time to parody them in a tasteful manner, cuz Dethklok rules and Brendon is immensely talented. This album is just a good album, regardless of lyrical content
    EpiExplorer
    Holographic Universe - Scar Symmetry.
    M3AK
    crazysam23_Atax
    katalyzt13 wrote: crazysam23_Atax wrote: "The first album released by Dethklok was "Dethalbum" which debuted at #21 on the Billboard 200 and was the highest charting death metal album ever, until it was ousted by "Deathalbum II"." The fact that the UG Team seriously called an album like this -- that was released for comedy (and that was only released because Metalocalypse was so ****ing hilarious) -- "Death Metal" just makes me not want to take this seriously. I'll give it a listen, but the UG Team really needs to hire someone who actually understands Metal to review the Metal albums out there. Comedy albums with a Death Metal flavor =/= Death Metal. Just because there was Death Metal growls and guitars doesn't make it Death Metal. It's comedy that makes fun of Death Metal (and is hilarious), but it's NOT Death Metal. Ugh...terrible statement, guys... So, it has Death Metal guitars, music, vocals, etc., but it isn't death metal?
    No, I'm saying it's comedy. I did use the word comedy 3 times. I also used the word hilarious twice.
    link no1
    STFU. Anyway, I gave this a quick listen. You can tell straight away as soon as the guitars start playing on Triton that it is Brendon Small playing. Alot of the album sounds like you could shove 'Nathan Explosion' on it and call it a Dethklok album. Not that that is a bad thing, I was just hoping that he distanced himself more than he did from Dethklok for something unrelated. Not actually that fond of his vocals for the album either, they just don't work for me. It is a good album though from what I've heard so far and yet again you can't knock his musical ability's both instrumentally and his composition, will probably give it a proper listen to tomorrow and let it soak into my mind rather than background music.
    crazysam23_Atax
    MegaGreg wrote: crazysam23_Atax wrote: Also, you incorrectly labeled this as "alternative Metal". Nothing ****ing alternative about it. Maybe the smallest hint of the progressive, but not alternative. You guys really just need to stop, UG Team. On wikipedia it's labeled as it, and I can hear that sort of stuff on the album like Deathwaltz and Arena War of the Immortal Masters. There's a lot of that modern sound that just seems more like it just fits that genre. I can agree it can be progressive, but when I think of progressive I think of long songs and drastic changes in the style and tempo in each song.
    Try listening to some Coheed & Cambria for an idea of the progressive flavor I'm talking about, man.
    fireandwaterore
    Best album ever. Excellent riffs, awesome vocals and the story line is enticing. People forget that he funded this album all himself while waiting for other crap happen. So to criticize something that he spent his personal time and money is a slap on the face. That's like saying...hey your kid is not ugly but not cute. I get that this may not be your thing, and that's cool. Just don't downplay it. If I was an artist I would probably say **** you guys, I am going home. Good music, I love it. It's the only thing I rock out on my cheap ass Jeep.
    axeinurface
    this album is not "speed metal" or "thrash" by any means. it's progressive metal if you wanna play the stupid sub-genre card. this is a shitty review of a good album.
    Mr E Meat
    i love this album especially the first song triton. Nice prog metal, though there are lots of parts where the dethklok influence leaks in.
    leony03
    I'm loving this album! Loved both Dethalbums and this is no worse than either of them.
    beau05
    EpiExplorer wrote: Chronologo wrote: Nice album, but I find Arjen Luccassen's Star One to be the best "metal" space themed work up to the date Holographic Universe - Scar Symmetry.
    Richard Anderson's Space Odyssey I will definitely check Galaktikon out, the name alone is enough to sway me
    MegaGreg
    cheesyp00fs
    his voice sounds like a mix of Rob Flynn and Bruce Dickinson, and at times, a little of Troy Sanders.
    katalyzt13
    lextexrex wrote: Not Home Videos, UG. Home Movies.
    My bad...the sad thing is I have those old episodes recorded on VHS and still watch them occasionally...
    axeinurface
    M3AK wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: wildinferno2010 wrote: sounds a lot like devin townsend, overall an awesome album Mmnot really.. the concept is similar to Ziltoid, kind of (space opera metal and what-not), but the sound and feel is pretty different from Devin. The concept is not similar to Ziltoid other then that its a concept album set in space. Apart from that the stories are completely different and so is the music. I really don't understand why people are likening this to Ziltoid so much because it really is nothing like it in any way other then the stories are both set in space. Not that it would bad if it was like Ziltoid after all Devin is my hero it's just I don't see much of a connection apart from that one. How do people keep jumping to this conclusion?
    ziltoid is not set in space. it's set on earth. he comes to get a good cup of coffee, gets a cup of starbucks-type swill, and proceeds to order an invasion of the planet by his race.
    Chronologo
    crazysam23_Atax
    "The first album released by Dethklok was "Dethalbum" which debuted at #21 on the Billboard 200 and was the highest charting death metal album ever, until it was ousted by "Deathalbum II"." The fact that the UG Team seriously called an album like this -- that was released for comedy (and that was only released because Metalocalypse was so fu cking hilarious) -- "Death Metal" just makes me not want to take this seriously. I'll give it a listen, but the UG Team really needs to hire someone who actually understands Metal to review the Metal albums out there. Comedy albums with a Death Metal flavor =/= Death Metal. Just because there was Death Metal growls and guitars doesn't make it Death Metal. It's comedy that makes fun of Death Metal (and is hilarious), but it's NOT Death Metal. Ugh...terrible statement, guys...