Delicate Hour EP Review

Released: Aug 03, 2010
Genre: Indie
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Delicate Hour EP Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on september 28, 2010

Sound: Singer-songwriter-guitarist Brie Stoner bridges facets of folk, country, blues, and gypsy-drenched pop into an amalgam that burns with the keen sensitivity of Missy Higgins and the soothing timbres of Tift Merritt. Stoner's new recording Delicate Hour is a 5-track EP that delves into the private recesses of her soul. The songs are affably groomed and apply different tints of folk such as the bluesy hues of the title track and the countrified chugging of To Wrestle, or the smoky gypsy-stylized ripples of Part-Time Believer and the willowy acoustics of Together Forever which have a sunny country-folk beading reminiscent of the coffeehouse-folk atmospherics of The Pierces. The softened tendrils of Edge Of A Broken Heart convert Vixen's power rocker into an image of sorrow and vulnerability and give the track a more gentle look. Stoner does not change folk music but gives it a lift that makes it appealing and versatile. // 8

Lyrics: Stoner's lyrics are personable like in Together Forever when she recites verses that come off like marriage vows, You think that you might be dishonest / But together forever it rings like a cowbell in August Together forever I'm bound. In the track To Wrestle, Stoner reflects, I was just wounded / I was just scared My heart was too fragile to fully receive I traveled through mountains This was an excursions that was not defeated.. I traveled to find you in the desert and heat. Her musings are introspective and woven smoothly into the music. // 8

Overall Impression: Brie Stoner's album Delicate Hour is based on reality even when her lyrics turn flowery and metaphorical. There is an earthy feel in her melodies that bodes well with the folksy coloring. And though her guitar playing may appear basic, it fits her vocals and gives the songs a genuineness that makes them special and relatable to other people's lives. // 8

Comments