A Collection Of Songs Written And Recorded 1995-1997 review by Bright Eyes

• Released: Jun 1, 2000
Bright Eyes: A Collection Of Songs Written And Recorded 1995-1997

This is the first full Bright Eyes album, recorded from the ages 15 to 17(hence the name). It was recorded on a Teac four track cassette recorder in Conors' Parents basement. This gives a very, very lo-fi sound to the overall recording. The album shows his early experimentation with noises, radios, and sound collage. The music ranges from '90s lo-fi pop, (Falling Out of Love at This Volume) to folk-y meanderings, and Spanish style music. At this time, Conor had no one else to play with, and so he plays all instruments. The only collaboration is in the song Feb. 15(Conors birthday), with Neely Jenkins(who is now in Tilly and The Wall). The one main problem he had was with mic overload, because it can become unintelligible. If you don't mind the lo-fi-ness of the sound then you're going to like this.

These lyrics show you the starting point for conors lyrics throughout his career. They are very poetic, with great uses of imagery and rhythm. He starts to develop a great rhyme style with his lyrics here. The words he uses paint a picture of his life, and show many emotions. The music and the lyrics meld well together, they blend into one solid wall of musical sadness. I'm probably one of the few people who likes his singing. Conor isn't a really bad singer, it's just that the sound and overall tone of his voice makes it sound bad.

If you've never heard of Bright Eyes get something like Fevers and Mirrors or Lifted, then get this. This will weed out a true fan from all of the hipsters in the room. This album is very strong for some one of his age. There are some weak points in the later part of the album. The strongest song that I can think of are Feb. 15, Falling Out of Love at This Volume, and I watched you taking off. I love the overall grittyness to the albums, the great lyrics, and the music in general. If you're already a big fan, get this album. This is a classic in the new Indie movement.

U-Mass
    Yeah, I've heard a lot of people don't listen to him because they think his singing voice sounds bad. Me? I just think it's unique. It really sets him out from everyone else, and is a sure indicator of his emotions in his songs. This is one of the only cds I don't own by him, only because I cannot find it in our store.
    Indie Purist
    Tower just closed around here so I ordered it off of Amazon. I haven't listened to this one much yet. I don't know, it's still very good. But hard to take seriously, I think.
    evand
    I picked this cd up at a bright eyes show on halloween, i think it is a great cd and connors musical emotion is amazing, especially since he was so young at the time. Great cd and great artist.
    Pocketsss
    This is a great album, one of the first Conor Oberst albums I owned. Lyrically its amazing, beautiful and touching. Musically its raw, edgy and creatively vast with lots to offer. Although the low sound quality may put off fans of IWAIM and Cassadaga, other fans will lap up this chance to view the first seeds of creative productivity from one of this decades Bob Dylans. Not quite as amazing as later albums but definitely worth a place in your CD collection.