Cassadaga review by Bright Eyes

• Released: Apr 10, 2007
Bright Eyes: Cassadaga

Cassadaga is a very different album, yet it is similar to I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning. But while on I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning and the other albumes, Cassadaga features a totally new sound. Unlike the younger, more shy voice and the acoustic guitar being a big part of each song, Conor has a more clear, less shy voice and the guitar isn't lost but is accompanied but violins, electric guitars, bright pianos, organs, and more distinct percussion. It is a very different but very good. Every album has a ditinct sound, but this one is the black sheep(but that is Bright Eyes for you).

Conor always has amazing lyrics. Always. With all the symbolism. Another way this album is different is in the lyrics. On the old albums the lyrics were mostly sad, very personal, or had some message of things being very wrong in the world (not all, but a lot). On this album, the songs are a tiny bit less personal and a bit brighter. It seems like Conor found something new and better that inspired him to write something like this. With the help of a few female voices: Maria Taylor, Z. Berg (from The Like), Sherri DuPree & Stacy Dupree (from Eisley), and Rachael Yamagata, this album turned out with a great new sound.

As earlier stated, this album is very different from the others. It still has a distinct Bright Eyes sound, but it is very different. The whole sound and the lyrics and the way everything was put together is pretty different. It opens up with the sound collage and a song to set the mood of the album, like the other albums. There is nothing to hate or dislike about this ablum (if you are a Bright Eyes fan). A true Bright Eyes fan loves and accepts all Bright Eyes songs. They can pull something from it easily. This album is no exception to that rule. This is a very lovable album. I think that the whole different sound might throw some Bright Eyes lovers off a bit at first. But if you listen to it without judging it as too country or not "emo"(which Bright Eyes is not but often gets labled as) enough, you will love it. To end this I would like to say, "Don't Be Frightened Of Turning The Page," get this album and give it a chance!

guitarkid247
    Indeed an excellent album with a new sound but a familiar tone- definetly a 10 in my book. And the greatest cover art ever.
    TylerC515
    The weird thing is, now I cannot wait for the next album. My favorite song on the album is 'If The Brakeman Turns My Way.' Simply amazing.