Digital Ash In A Digital Urn review by Bright Eyes

• Released: Jan 25, 2005
Bright Eyes: Digital Ash In A Digital Urn

Okay, from Letting off Happiness, which was a really under developed sound, it had many flaws in the chords, none the less it was a great album. Now an album that had so many flaws on it, which was roughly 10 years ago, compared to this, Digital Ash in a Digital Urn, the sound is amazingly crisp. His voice is more intune with the music on this album than any other album he has put out. The synth is very dark and poppy, yet has a tone that really effects you emotionally. And his voice is so desperate and wanning, that if it doesn't grab your attention in seconds, you'll never understand why this band is so amazing.

Ahh, the focal point of Bright Eyes, these lyrics aren't as good as the other albums, and in my opinion, nothing will ever beat the Lyrics on Fevers and Mirrors, which is their best album. The lyrics are none-the-less amazing, the first track "Gold Mine Gutted" has some really emo and amazing lyrics the flow is also really amazing. Although, I think that Down in a Rabbit Hole, is just perfect, it is very dark and melodic and has this synth beat that goes right along with the lyrics, it really shows you how brilliant Conor Oberst is.

Okay, this is his 3rd best album, the first being Fevers and Mirrors, and the 2nd being Lifted or the Story is in the Ground. But none-the-less, this is by far the better of the two releases, the other being "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning." So if you hate this album go get that one, they are polar opposites. The best tracks are Time Code, Gold Mine Gutted, Down In A Rabbit Hole, Hit The Switch, I Believe In Symetry, Devil In The Details. And the rest are equally good, but Devil In The Details is my personal favorite track of the cd. If this were stolen I'd hunt the man that did it and congradulate him on having such amazing taste, then I'd kill him for stealing my cd. The worst thing about this cd, is the comparision to "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning." Which to every critic, is upteen times better. But if you've been a Bright Eyes fan from the beginning, then you'll know this is their most solid release to date, not their best, their most solid.