Digital Ash In A Digital Urn review by Bright Eyes

• Released: Jan 25, 2005
Bright Eyes: Digital Ash In A Digital Urn

The band's sound has traditionally been very folk sounding, with exceptions like Lover I Don't Have To Love. But this album is like a compilation of all songs that stray away from their folk sound. The name, Digital Ash In A Digital Urn, says it all. It's mostly digitally made. The use of sythesizers and elabotate bass riffs are very evident in songs like Down A Rabbit Hole, Take It Easy (Love Nothing), Theme To Pinata, and most other songs on the album. Overall, a very good album, and very different from the normal sound of Bright Eyes.

Just like any other Bright Eyes CD, the lyrics are very nicely written. I saw on a review for another Bright Eyes album a comment that was along the lines of, "Conor Oberst wrote it, so of course it's good." But unlike some of the band's other albums, the lyrics of Digital Ash are very straight forward and blunt. The song Take It Easy (Love Nothing), is a prime example of the straight forward, story like lyrics. I guess other critics sum it up for the lyrics, Conor Oberst did write them.

Digital Ash In A Digital Urn deffinately continues the well written, complex sound that Bright Eyes is known for by so many. Don't let the fact that it sounds so different fool you. It is just as good as other Bright Eyes albums. The most outstanding song on the album has to be Down A Rabbit Hole. The sounds created and used on the track are very elaborate. Some sound effects in other songs, such as the baby's cry in Ship In A Bottle deffinately add to the mood of the album. Also, the use of two drum sets in songs such as Gold Mine Gutted give the song a sound that's just not possible with only one. This is deffinately an album worth buying, with a sensational sound.

hiddeninromance
    This is really under rated as an album. The truth is it's a tragic collection of songs that are involve poetic persona's trying to come to terms with Death and Loss. And perhaps one of the most honest accounts of this that music has seen. "Maybe he lost control fu**ing with the radio, but I bet the stars seemed so close, in the end" A really really beautiful album that gets better with age!
    JadeFalcon5
    Light Pollution caught me by surprise, at first i didnt think i would like it, so i didnt listen, but after a while i really like, concentrated on it and its an amazing song.
    samerika
    yes yes yes!!! I got take it easy right, its a sexual theme or innuendo!