Fevers & Mirrors review by Bright Eyes

• Released: Jan 1, 2000
Bright Eyes: Fevers & Mirrors

The sound of this album isn't exciting at all. Boring acoustic guitar with the occasional flute melody. When Conor makes a foray into spanish guitar rock, on track three "The Calendar hung itself" (clever title) it is rather exciting, albeit indtimidating at first. The sound on this album, on the whole, is boring. But that's not why you buy a Bright Eyes album.

I'm not even going to take off points for Conor's uneasy, quavering voice, in this section because the lyrics more than make up for it. These lyrics are the reasons people buy Bright Eyes records. Conor Oberst is undeniably a brilliant lyricist. His songs of heartbrake and disillusionment are the best emo I've ever heard. Five stars here.

Here's the thing about this album-you get a favorite song on it, listen to it till you get bored of it, then move on it another song to be your favorite. For me so far it's gone track2, then 4, then 12, then 8, then 3, now 11. For this reason I have yet to tire of this album. If I lost this album I would probably buy it again because it has always been good in my eyes and it has more staying power than even OK Computer.