I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning review by Bright Eyes

• Released: Jan 25, 2005
Bright Eyes: I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

After a few weeks of listening and comparing the two albums, "Digital Ash In A Digital Urn," and, "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning." I've come to the conclusion that "I'm Wide Awake" has much better production values, not only does it sound more put together, but on this album you finally get the return of Conor's quaky voice, while on the other album his voice is more distinguished and it lessens the emotional effect he has on you. I think this is his best sounding album, production wise, it is just beautiful. Now for the actual sound of the album, it is, some would say, country, but I find that hardly satisfying, it is less country, and more indie folk, if that makes any sense. Yes, it is very twangy in the sound and it has the echo-y style to it, but it is no where near country, it is folk, I'm thinking this is Conor trying to prove that he is the next Bob Dylan. I think he proves his point, this also has a few collaberations that really put this album together, all in all, it comes off as a beautiful masterpiece.

The lyrics, like any Bright Eye's album are the main point, Conor has said he likes to put the lyrics first, then the actual music, like any true indie-star. Compared to "DAIADU" the lyrics are not better, as they are less involving and leave less to the mind, but they are lyrics for the music, they fit perfectly with what style he went with here and it is just top notch, the lyrics in "Lua" and "Old Soul Song (For the New Republic)" are just perfectly fitting and is just top notch, I can't nit-pick because Conor, is a lyrical genious.

Okay, this isn't his best, but it is better than Digital Ash, disregarding my review for Digital Ash, I was being bias. The entire cd is just top notch, and there are zero bad tracks, they are all execellent, while on the other one, there are few that I just skip over. The lyrics are better, the sound is better, and just about everything is better. The best songs (they're all amazing) are just one after the other. I'll leave it up to you to decide whats best, but I adore this album. I can't find anything that I hate about this album, it is more emotional than the other and it is just I can't stop ranting about how good it is. If this were stolen, I'd buy a new one within the hour, no doubt. Everyone needs to own this album, it is the focal point of his carear and hopefully in a few years he churns out another masterpiece.