I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning review by Bright Eyes

• Released: Jan 25, 2005
Bright Eyes: I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

Conor Oberst and his band Bright Eyes has been creating meaningful roots music for quite some time now and as he moves from album to album his skills as a musician and songwriter grows. I beleive "I'm Wide Awake it's Morning" is Conors finest work yet, stripping his music back to a classic sound of roots and country. The highlights in musical talent on this album are the tracks Old Soul Song (For The New World Order), Another Travellin' Song and Road To Joy (a song that ends the album on a massive note, with screeching guitars and crazy trumpet solos.) Conor also manages to strip back to the basics with the song Lua and the beautiful love song First Day Of My Life. This album flows really well compared to "Digital Ash..." and is very easy listening.

As always Conors lyrics are the focal point of his music. He writes songs that seem slightly happier than nsome of his earlier work (or perhaps it's just the cheerful country music). Lyrical favourites for this album are the opener At The Bottom Of Everything where Conor tells the story of a plane about to "Splash into the deep blue sea" and the song that a passanger sings to the girl sitting next to him. First Day Of My Life shows Conor expressing raw love and emotion ("This is the first day of my life, I'm glad I didn't die before I met you"). And the Emmylou Harris ballad duet Landlock Blues is another lyrical highlight.

As mentioned earlier this album leaves you wanting more. Perfect for a Sunday arvo in the sun or an easy way to lighten up a long boring car trip. I am a true Bright Eyes fan and I own all of his albums, I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning in his best work (to date).

Cacophonaut
    Man, only two reviews? This has got to be one of my favorite albums. It ranks alongside Neutral Milk Hotel's Aeroplane for me. I may have to write a review.
    pigmaggots
    I find Bright Eyes a difficult band to get into..but great none-the-less. I think you're not supposed to compare those 2 albums that came out at the same time, as they are...completly different. Just a thought like.