I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning review by Bright Eyes

• Released: Jan 25, 2005
Bright Eyes: I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

"I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" is the 6th or 7th album released by Bright Eyes ("Digital Ash in a Digital Urn" was released on the same day). It starts with Conor Oberst speaking a monolouge ("At The Bottom Of Everything) of two passengers on a plane that is about to crash, at first you'd be thinking "This surely can't be what the whole album will be like, is it?" but after a minute or so of the monolouge the song kicks in with a lovely simple three chord riff that grabs your attention straight away. Much like the first song the album flawlessy fills together with songs that show maturity, emotion and reasons why Conor Oberst was placed with the "New Era Dylan" tag in the first place.

Conor Oberst has always had a way with lyrics to make the songs sound so personal, yet so mature in the way it's really not another cliche song about romance ("First Day of My Life"), Drugs ("Lua") or just plain hippy talk of loving the earth ("Train Underwater"). I think it's safe to say everyone knows Conor hasn't got the best voice in music but you can't really say that it brings the music down at all!

I don't think there's a single band that really could be compared to Bright Eyes. The lyrics, the voice and pretty much everything about the band musically. If you like acoustic guitars with deep sophisticated and personal lyrics. Well this album really is definately for you.

AlbertCamus
    Fat Boy Phil wrote: That was just ridiculous. I have no clue who the band is, but that article just sounded so pethetic and made up. Hey, watch i can do the same thing, Now in today's headlines Travis the Chimp strikes back, oh waht breaking news he's dead. See so easy to do.
    ...what are you talking about?
    guitaluva17
    Cacophonaut wrote: Man, only two reviews? This has got to be one of my favorite albums. It ranks alongside Neutral Milk Hotel's Aeroplane for me. Sorry dude, but this doesn't compare to Aeroplane. It's a good record, but Aeroplane is just superior in like every way! hahaha I may have to write a review.
    guitaluva17
    Cacophonaut wrote: Man, only two reviews? This has got to be one of my favorite albums. It ranks alongside Neutral Milk Hotel's Aeroplane for me. I may have to write a review.
    Sorry dude, but this doesn't compare to Aeroplane. It's a good record, but Aeroplane is just superior in like every way! hahaha (sorry bout previous post)
    Fat Boy Phil