Noise Floor (Rarities 1998-2005) review by Bright Eyes

• Released: Oct 24, 2006
Bright Eyes: Noise Floor (Rarities 1998-2005)

Conor Oberst or Bright Eyes over the last 2 to 3 years has broguht indie music to a new level. This album was a collection of rare and unreleased tracks which he put together. They span the period of 1998 to 2005. It is a fantastic album which brings back more of the sound from fevers and mirrors with a lot of the sons espically Amy In The White Coat, Seashell Tale, Spent On Rainy Days, and Soon You'll Be Leaving Your Man. Amy In The White Coat may be the best track on the CD with conors voice in his normal low almost moaing tone, but it is absolutetly fantastic. The song most different from any of the others would Trees Get Wheeled Away. It is a fun song but really is quite unique sound wise, almost country which conors likes to mix a lot with a rockish feel.

Conor has been prounced as the new Bob Dylan so his lyrics are always god like and refined to a point which no one does as well today. Trees Get Wheeled Away has some great lyrics like "Oh, we got no health insurance, no cellular service, no disease they can't cure but we need more money to burn". Just as an example. You can tell what songs are from the late 90's and the newer one's because his vocals do sound different and more like a song found on a demo then on a cd, but in some ways it just adds to those tracks character. The Vanashing Act which is a very very different song by Bright Eyes is an example of this. Drunk Kid Catholic is intresting song wise because Conor is playing piano which he does from time to time, but honestly it doesn't sound like a song you'd expect from Bright Eyes.

Comparitive wise to other albums by Bright Eyes this song wise is fantastic. Each one has it's one quality and it's great that he put this many songs on a album. The one thing against the album which really isn't the albums fault is every Bright Eyes album seems to have it's own flow and almost concept whether that's music wise, lyrically like how Lifted or The Story Is In The Soil, Keep Your Ear To The Ground is a very political album lyrically, or how digital ash in a digiatl irn has a very electronic sound, this does not have that but it is a collection of song over time so why should it. This was a fantastic idea by Bright Eyes to put out a CD of songs that are rare and unreleased while they work on their new albu due out Spring 2007. I actually didn't think it would be as good as it is. I love the variety in the songs and the different strengths that each song has. It may actually end up being in the top 3 bright eyes CDs and I'd recomend it to anyone.

curtis uck
    conor is the best writer of his genration (and most other generations too!) cant wait for the new one
    TaylorR
    axiom
    TaylorR wrote: Bright Eyes is pretty good but this is a terrible review. Put your words together better.
    ditto, though you may have just been excited. so I feel you. Although, putting "spent on rainy days" on this album kind of takes away from Britt Daniel's part (Home, Vol. 4 from post-parlo records...) but hey, it's a pretty good collection.
    therobbert
    Home IV is awesommeee. I like I Will be Grateful the Day. Amy in the White Coat sounded like he was choking on splooge. So I didn't like the one. He needs to make another digital ash.
    Auals
    I liked Amy In The White Coat but only because of the tone of his voice, it's songs like that one that make you want to hate him for his brilliance. Amy in the white coat is one of the most well written songs on it's topic that i have EVER heard and it makes me want to spew because of how he sings it (i promise you that is the largest compliment), i get to the point where i cut the lyrics out of my head and just hear his voice and the music... Blue Angels Air Show is my favourite bright eyes song, my girls getting me the CD (a) she really is way too good for me I agree about the bad review bit, if i get some time i'll put up my own hopefully
    Otakutheiii
    Army in the White Coat is one of his best songs on here because of the way the story is told.