Count Your Blessings review by Bring Me the Horizon

• Released: Oct 30, 2006
Bring Me the Horizon: Count Your Blessings

To be honest I'd have to say that I was not a fan of Bring Me The Horizon's debut EP "This Is What The Edge Of Your Seat Was Made For..." And if I'm going to be even more honest I could say that I found the discordant fashioncore music they were displaying to be an absolute joke. Fortunately, every band deserves a second chance; and although in past times I would have said that anyone who like this band would have only liked them for their looks, I can now shamefully say that I am a fan of the music this band are displaying. Enough on previous outings, this is a review of Count Your Blessings, and I'd have to say that this is an amazing piece of work. Whilst their previous album boasted a generic-but-slightly-more-discordant variation on metalcore, this album is closer to melodic death metal. However, not the similar-to-metalcore Gotherberg sound. In my opinion Bring me The Horizon play music similar to that of bands such as the Black Dahlia Murder and Between The Buried And Me, treading the line between death metal and metalcore. If Bring Me The Horizon are metalcore, however: then the metal is brutal death and the -core is the most crushing hardcore.

Oliver Sykes has greatly improved his lyrical abilities. However, upon reading the review of This Is What The Edge Of Your Seat Was Made for, I have realised that anyone searching for BMTH reviews on this site is going to be met with a barrage of lies from an obvious Horizon fanboy. In the aforementioned review Oli's lyrics have been descrbed as dark, gothic and retrospective. Unfortunately, they are far from it. They are similar to that which I would expect an angsty teenager to write is his or her diary. Fortunately the band have the technical ability, and Oli the sense of humour, to pull this off wonderfully.

This album is a much more mature effort than their debut EP. The band have showed how a young band can progress in just a couple of years and will surely expand their fanbase beyond the already huge numbers of myspace-whores listening to them now, to "proper" metal fans. If you're into heavy music then you will like this unless you only listen to brutal death metal and kvlt black metal that only 2 guys listen to in their mother's basements; you hate screaming and growling; you've heard their previous work (maybe). I'd say give this album a chance. Yes they won a seemingly undeserved Kerrang award, but this album is more metal than anything else showcased in that magazine. Then again is that saying much?

down the drain
    this album is ****ing brilliant. i got it on pre order the day it came out. i love the EP but this album is so much better than it. i saw them last saturday and they put on the best show i had ever been too. ace .
    WaRl0cK101
    tell slater not to wash his dick as a fukin tune n half the cd is ****ing great! improved loads ive met em before at a machester gig and the yaint up their arses or ote, love to bits and got my respect! bring on the tours baby
    x_basskid_x
    I saw this band last night in Wolverhampton for the third time and they just get better every time! Count Your Blessings is an absolutely amazing album. Although i didn't know they'd just renamed Dragon Slaying to Liquor And Love Lost and stuck it on the album, which was cool.
    MakesOutWithYou
    I personally think that bmth are a horrible, horrible band. It just sounds like any other generic metalcore band, albeit with lyrics even worse than the metal scene usually spawns. I mean, seriously. They sound like something I'd write when I was 14, just discovering my new-found MOODS and SELF-OBSESSION. Seriously, what is there to like about this band. Truly awful.
    Bobthe66666
    Pray For Plagues is just awesome. Though every song after it sounds excactly the same... other than Black & Blue. Which is also awesome.
    barrybuttery
    Bring me the horizon is hard to get in to at first but this album is ****ing good go out and buy it
    the agony scene
    this album is ****ing brutal a must have for any metal fan as this is metal at its most agressive the guitar work vocals and drumming are all insanely good and when u take into account the band members are all in their teens its ****ing amazing
    m3tz
    This cd seem's better than their EP.. but still pretty boring/generic. Theres better uk bands out there.