Count Your Blessings review by Bring Me the Horizon

• Released: Oct 30, 2006
Bring Me the Horizon: Count Your Blessings

Bring me the horizon are one of many bands now to fuse Metalcore with elements of Death Metal mixing high-pitched screams with low growls and blast-beats and double bass drumming with great heavy breakdowns and inventively named "Deathcore". BMTH seem to mix really fast sections of songs with slower sections seamlessly and obviously take a lot of time in the arrangement of songs. They're not as technical as some bands of the genre but still the musicianship is superb mixing fast riffs and (not showy) melodic solos with slow breakdowns effortlessly. I instantly loved this album on the first listen and it's just grown and grown on me and I can't get enough of it now! The songs on this album (except for the fantastic "Fifteen fathoms counting", an acoustic song) are unrelentingly heavy, fast and full of time changes and nice rhythms. Count your blessings is also a great album to learn some metal chops on as there are easier bits to start you off, faster legato work (and alternate picking) and some really fast Open-string triplets (Notably on "Tell Slater not to was his dick", "For Stevie Wonder's eyes only" and "Off the heezay"). The guitarists also clearly love pinch harmonics but use them to the best effect of any band I've heard so far. The music differs from their previous EP quite significantly and the music has taken on a much faster, less repetitive form. The drumming has greatly improved and the double-bass drum work in the breakdowns is amazing.

Oli Sykes has a really good voice for Deathcore with both amazing High-pitched screams and lower growls and this really comes into its own when all music stops and all you can hear is Oli's low growl (like near the end of "Tell Slater not to wash his dick"). The lyrics are really accessible and once you figure out Oli's voice they're not too hard to decifer. The deal with lots of different things but a recurring theme seems to be bitterness about lost love. There are some Bible references: Pray For Plagues, "So clap your hands to the sound of every first born dying now, watch the rivers flow with blood, death will stand were life once stood." There are also references to Greek mythology and some really great imagery used. The songs are filled with great lines and anyone interested in lyrics should really enjoy figuring out what they all mean. The lyrics fit perfectly in with the music and you can really tell how much effort has gone into arranging the songs. I thought the use of gang-vocals is really well done here and it really allows for some dynamic shifts. Just as with the music you can see how they've matured from the "This is what the edge of your seat was made for" EP.

As an album, it flows really well with two instrumentals, short fast songs, longer more complex songs and songs that shift tempo a lot. The only criticism I would really have is that the album is a little short with only 10 tracks and a couple of them being under 2 mins. The quality of the music, however, makes up for this and leaves you just wanting more. If this album was stolen then I'd definitely buy several copies just so I didn't have to wait to buy it again if by bad luck it was lost a second time.

The7thAutumn
    This style of music, Deathcore, is a sad scene kid imitation of the real thing. Oli Sykes, that misogynistic little bastard, need to be killed or put in jail.
    xguffx
    alright this cd is a classic. Its amazing i've been a fan since their old EP. Their music is just incredible they have gone way since their previous release. The people should give them credit. I don't care if they dress scene as hell, I know they got a lot of shit for that oh well. Music should judged the ****ing music you make. Not clothes or any of that dumbshit