Count Your Blessings review by Bring Me the Horizon

• Released: Oct 30, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Bring Me the Horizon: Count Your Blessings

BMTH had a hit or two off this one. It has more of a death metal tone, with metalcore influences and deathcore riffage in places, but very few true breakdowns. Overall it is very aggressive, spontaneous, but can get predictable and repetitive in places. The songwriting style is basically death metal and metalcore, but even though those are the ingredients for deathcore, its not deathcore, its something entirely its own. BMTH haven't changed the scene or made the music industry shift, but they did come into their own on "Count Your Blessings". I would like to note that although the album is not received well it isn't that bad, but you will definitely get bored with it, if you let yourself listen to it too much.

Death Metal and Metalcore lyrics about killing stuff, and how he'll rip out his ex-gf's throat etc. Etc. Nothing new here. The lyrics fit the music and the screaming is fantastic, even though their thickened in the studio, up until 08 he could actually scream identical to the album minus thickness, but unknown circumstances has caused him to adopt more of a yelling style that is seen more commonly in hardcore and Nu-Metal. Great screaming, top notch, but since this is titled "lyrics" I'm rating the lyrics only.

Well, when it comes down to it, Bring Me The Horizon's "Count Your Blessings" was a valiant attempt at a debut album, but truly comes at you sub-par when compared to the rest of the metalcore scene. Their follow-ups were much better, but lack the ferocity and "metal" of their predecessor. The singles from the album "Pray For Plagues" and "For Stevie Wonders Eyes Only" are by far, the best on the album in a general sense. The only things I consider good about the album, is its capacity for background noise, and how fun it is to play on guitar, scream, and drums. Other than that, a 6 I would give it out of 10. It has its moments, but kills itself with over-complexity, and repetitiveness in the end. I wouldn't even care if it was stolen to be honest, I would just put the singles on my iPod since the album was eh at best. It kind of let me down compared to the EP that came before it, the EP was actually very, very promising but the album didn't live up to expectations.

EpiExplorer
    I wonder if anyone from 2006 will read this and facepalm themselves for being the most extreme of fanboys.
    BwareDWare94
    Every time a Bring Me the Horizon review is posted, I remember just how much they suck. Then I think about a certain singer pissing on fans and throwing bottles at them...
    FlyingPirahna
    This is the only album I ever listened to from these guys. I liked Pray for Plagues, but the album greeted me with 10 tracks of the same exact ****ing thing as the last song. I could barely make it all the way through.
    BassKid101
    Holy hell, 2006? Doesn't seem like it's been that long. They're pretty terrible now, and it seems like they dropped off the face of the earth, but I remember jamming this album al the time. For Stevie's Eyes Only \m/
    RickyThomson
    BwareDWare94
    Both of those bands shit all over BMTH, you know?
    rushofnothing
    BwareDWare94 wrote: rushofnothing wrote: I love how some metal fans bash this for being 'nothing but noise and gargling' when they'd quite happily listen to Whitechapel and Cannibal Corpse, and praise them for being so good. Both of those bands shit all over BMTH, you know?
    You are literally too stupid to insult. Cannibal Corpse are probably the worst sounding piece of shit band ever. BMTH have some great melodic parts, breakdowns and decent lyrics, WHICH ARE AUDIBLE BY THE WAY. Cannibal Corpse is Blasturbation, gargled inaudible lyrics, songs with pointlessly disgusting names. A huge load of shit, basically. What you are, sir, is a little bitch trying to join onto the BMTH suck bandwagon. You think you're part of the club if you bash them. You're trying to stand on the shoulders of people with proper musical opinions. I've given perfectly decent reasons why Cannibal Corpse are a steaming turd, care to give some for BMTH?
    RickyThomson
    Sure, i wrote that lol. But, who are Whitechapel and Cannibal Corpse? I didn't realise this was metal-guitar. 8)
    MegadethFan18
    RickyThomson wrote: This band sounds exactly the same as every other band from their "genre". It's just noise and gargling. To be honest, i could be brushing my teeth and banging on the kitchen sink and come up with a better song.
    Then why didn't you? I remember getting this when it was their newest album, no one knew what the future held and that the next two albums would sound completely different. Ah to be young again...
    rushofnothing