Suicide Season review by Bring Me the Horizon

• Released: Sep 29, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Bring Me the Horizon: Suicide Season

So, UK Deathcore giants, Bring Me the Horizon are back with their 2nd full length, Suicide Season. Having spent the last few months working with famed Swedish producer, Fredrik Nordstrm, BMTH return with an interesting collection of songs that clearly show a band trying to break free of the monotony of the deathcore movement. In doing so, the band has brought a rawer and "hardcore" sound to the table, with amazing production and an emphasis on rhythm. However, the song writing to back up the new production has suffered a tad. In pursuing this "new style" that BMTH have sort after, they've fallen into the trap of writing a few decent songs and then just pasting together certain sections to fill up the album. While songs like "The Comedown", "Football Season is Over" and "Sleep with One Eye Open" are heavy, in your face and just plain fun songs, songs like "Death Breath", "Chelsea Smile" and "Diamonds Aren't Forever" just don't do anything. The riffs sound recycled (especially Chelsea Smile which sounds near identical to Comedown) and the cut and paste methodology wears thin after you hear the album 3 or 4 times.

Oli's vocal approach has become much more varied than his previous range of "stupidly vicious screams" and "gut wrenching lows" to include a throatier hardcore yell what adds some real emotion so some of the songs. His lyrics are once again about the usual scene kid trash however. The usual angst styled lines about "writings in blood" and "how you betrayed me" laced with a few semi-clever metaphors for sex or death just don't cut it anymore.

Suicide Season leaves me in an interesting bind as I love the band's previous album, "Count your Blessings", but the production is so god awful on it, that this album will probably remain on rotation in it's place for awhile. Songs like "Football Season is Over" are huge fun (despite Deez Nuts main-man and ex-I Killed The Prom Queen drummer, JJ Peters, utterly useless contribution to the end of it) and "Sleep With One Eye Open" reminds me of Meshuggah with it's Drop G chugging and stop-start, off-time breakdown intro. Sam Carter of Architect's clean sung contribution to "The Sadness Will Never End", however, is a nice touch, but not enough to save the otherwise angst ridden, almost screamo song. Overall, while the album isn't that bad, it does however fail to reach any real point other than being a fun little forty-two minute ride.

Archaex
    It's like they don't have a lead guitar in this album, ever. :/ Oli's vocals have improved but some parts of songs are just like "uhh, **** it lets go all out" and it just sounds bad. Everything is good in this album the guitarists just lack the intricacy the last album had.
    alexbatt
    I thought this album compated to their first one was shit, they have gone way too far into an american sound, forgetting where theyve come from. The only track i really liked was "No Need For Introductions, I've Read About Girls Like You On The Backs Of Toilet Doors" rest of was rubbish really. I thought it was a big step down from their EP and Count Your Blessings
    boyan89
    Actually I think Avenged Sevenfold are way better than Bring Me The Horizon, but this album was decent just like their first album, hopefully their 3rd album will be a step up though.
    93dric
    hmm... the intro of chelsea smile sounds awefully alot like bury your deads 'house of straw'
    aza_rock_god
    steve_a7x wrote: THIS ALBUM IS ONE OF THE WORSE ALBUMS I HAVE EVER HEARD! complete shit!
    yeah, coming from a guy with a7x in your name and this album is actually pretty solid, its just different from their debut, imo, smart move
    mattyblinkfall
    i feel im probably the only person who hates count your blessings and love this one... count your blessings to me is the exact same deathcore song over and over again where as i find this album to be filled with a lot of different styles, although there is some down sides. i also enjoy oli's new style of screaming. the singing that sam does on this album is sick, he should sing in architects if he doesnt already do so.
    HammerJustice
    this album was sick, highlights being the comedown, chelsea smile (best intro), sleep with one eye open and diamonds arent forever
    frankibo
    i actually quite like this album. i liked count your blessing but i was all a bit of a samey mess at times. at least theres some different stuff on this album. and i prefer the hardcore kinda scream , it makes the grunts and shrieks seem more epic rather than just boring old shit.
    -Collapse-
    AnEvilWalrus wrote: This is so disappointing. This might be a good album from all the generic metalcore/deathcore bands but for Bring Me the Horizon... The only reason I would give it anything higher then a 5 is because of Diamonds Aren't Forever and a couple decent riffs scattered throughout.
    yeah, I'm highly disappointed after Count you Blessings... I'm almost inclined to take them off my band's list, just because I don't' want people to think I like the new album...
    AnEvilWalrus
    iktpq666
    it seems theyve taken a step backwards count your bleesing is my joint fav albums ever with horizons by pwd and colors by btbam. it was brutal, melodic and technical. this album is good but it had a big name to live up to amd imo it wasnt up to the standard of their debut. the lack of harmoized riffs, solos and growls is a shame. i hope they learn from their mistakes and make a ****ing epic third album
    (vince)
    I think the guy who's singing the clean stuff in The Sadness Will Never End is Luis Dubuc from The Secret Handshake. It's possible that it's Sam though but i'd doubt it's him.
    Mikewazousky
    Ah man, these guys had potential. With Suicide Season, they've basically conformed to what the scene kids want them to sound like. Truly a shame, they were brutal, now they've really gone to hell. This is their "Black Album".
    boyan89
    This album sounds like it would be good for parties especially Football Season Is Over.
    Sephirangel
    i personally believe the album is brilliant! The fact that BMTH started the utterly shite underground deathcore movement was actually an achievement...not a good one but its very hard to set trends nowadays! The album surely does move away from that, but they just arnt comfortable with the genre they have gotten into yet
    Dark_Raven10
    There actually is a guitar solo in The Sadness Will Never End, but it's very muffled by the other guitar and vocals.
    Magero
    One thing I should have noted is that Oli's "hardcore" vocal style gets really strained in some points. Like the intro to the title track.
    Dark_Raven10
    My friend does not believes that Suicide Season has worse production than Count Your Blessings, which makes me laugh so hard.
    (vince)
    Magero wrote: According to wikipedia; "The Sadness Will Never End (Featuring. Sam Carter)" I just assumed it was him doing cleans.
    Hmm, touch. I thought Carter would've done some screamed stuff and that Luis Dubuc would've taken the singing for him. It would've made more sense to me. =)
    Magero
    rory_asten_bell
    yeh i kind of agree here most the stuff is alrite i spose not as amazing as i anticipated but some of the songs are a bit poor and repetative