Suicide Season review by Bring Me the Horizon

• Released: Sep 29, 2008
Bring Me the Horizon: Suicide Season

Well, the infamous Brits have done it again, another strong metalcore album with plenty of insane screaming and riffs. In honesty, I wasn't a big fan of Count Your Blessings, so thankfully this album is off the radar in terms of greatness. Although there isn't really a storyline behind this album, the one song with a clear point is "No need for introductions... " which is a short song with the lyrics "and after all you put me through/ I should've just f--king pissed on you". This is a reference to a nightclub incident, in which Oli Sykes had a dropped case of sexual assault where he "urinated" on a fan who refused to have sex with him. When it comes to music styles, BMTH go with their classical view of heavy ear-drum popping riffs accompanied by intense screams throughout the album, perhaps dubbing them the heaviest screamo/metalcore band of the UK.

Overall, I dare say the lyrics are adequate for the album, sometimes a bit crude and, to be frank, expectant of such material, ie "it spreads like cancer" a phrase I've heard one too many times in metal. That being said, the lyrics do sync up perfectly with the music behind it, the rough screaming provided by Mr Sykes goes hand-in-hand with the distored guitars, rapid basslines and insane drumming. In slight contradiction, the singing skills of BMTH have been something contravertial, many say that the screaming is "shit" or possesses "a lack of vocal control" whereas others who are in favour of them say it shows how far a vocalist can push themselves to produce intimidating screams. So, in terms of skill, I'll leave that bit up to you to decide.

Overall, I'd say this is a regular British Screamo album, they've been noted to provide influence to many new screamo bands, one of the more notible being Shadows Chasing Ghosts, whom are big fans of the band. For the the most impressive song is Diamond's aren't Forever, purely because it was that track that made me buy the album to test it out. In terms of love and hate, I'd have to say the vocals for both, while they are good and represent alot of hard work, they do seem to be a bit conistant, unlike in Count Your Blessings, when it contained alot more pitch changes. If this were stolen/lost I'd probably go for something else seeing as this does get boring after afew listenings

Dakkstar
    I was glad that they focused their sound and aren't as ADD, random riffing for the sake of it ruined count your blessings, the tone was horrible on CYB aswell. Suicide Season was okay at best there are better bands, but people insist on liking the worst of the worst.
    thePTOD
    I got this album back when I was getting into heavier music and my scene friend told me it was amazing... I can't agree with him. I've heard many songs off of CYB and this album is just bland for me. Chelsea Smile has got to be the song with the most overrated intro I've yet to hear, and Oli's voice is just raspy and destroyed. The sadness will never end and death breath are the most 'fun to listen to' songs in my opinion, but the guitars have little to no intricacy. I never really liked BMTH, and that hasn't and probably will not change.