Suicide Season review by Bring Me the Horizon

• Released: Sep 29, 2008
Bring Me the Horizon: Suicide Season

Bring Me the Horizon were always one of those bands where you either loved 'em or hated 'em. On "Suicide Season," their breakthrough album, the band ditches their previously criticized style of deathcore for a tighter, more focused metalcore sound. The band use new tunings and synthesizers to create more focused, well written songs.

"The Comedown" - A really good way to open the record. It sets the tone for the record and immediately lets loose with pure aggression. The breakdown in this song is fantastic.

"Chelsea Smile" - The album's biggest hit, this track runs a bit long at just over 5 minutes. The riff at the beginning is unforgettable and the vocals are brutal. Could do without the trance breakdown, but it does fit the song.

"It Was Written in Blood" - This song surprisingly gets a lot of hate, but I think it's great. The lyrics are perfectly dark and eerie and the riff is really catchy. One of the best moments on the record is toward the end of the song on the last chorus when he screams "...in blood!" in that lower growl. Overall a fantastic track.

"Death Breath" - This song is alright. The main riff is really great and it's catchy enough. My only dislike is the lyrics. The whole vampire thing is a bit gimmicky.

"Football Season Is Over" - The first of 2 "joke tracks." This song is a total jam and a great way to end the A-side of the album. The lyrics are goofy but actually quite funny and the use of Drop G makes the song sound really heavy.

"Sleep With One Eye Open" - To this day, one of the heaviest things I've ever heard. The song is absolutely brutal and I would NOT want to be the person this was written about. Certainly a favorite.

"Diamonds Aren't Forever" - The best song this band has ever released. The lyrics are great, especially "We're all going to hell, we may as well go out in style." The guitar work and pounding drums make this song a total chug-fest. And of course that breakdown is classic. Perfection.

"The Sadness Will Ever End" - An alright song. Nothing special, a bit generic. The guitar solo is very cool though.

"No Need for Introductions, I've Read About Girls Like You on the Back of Toilet Doors" - With a name longer than the song, this is an interesting "joke track." The jazz piano is a great addition, startling the listener with it's sudden attack. Would be a fun song to play at a fancy party as a prank. The song also would be a fun end to the record, swapping places with the title track.

"Suicide Season" - This song is very good, but 8 minutes is too long. The could shave about 2 minutes off it and it would still get the point across. Other than that, it has good lyrics and a really cool buildup.

The lyrics on this album are interesting. They go from dark and eerie ("It Was Written in Blood") to quite funny ("Football Season Is Over"). The only miss with the lyrics would be "Death Breath." Other than that, relatable and well-written. The lyrics on this album revolve around the general theme of suicide, anger and depression. Even "Football Season Is Over" could be interpreted to be about drinking due to depression, despite it's jokey nature. The song "It Was Written in Blood" is one of the most unsettling songs lyrically that I have ever heard. The fact that they extracted real lines from a suicide note is so cool. Overall the lyrics are well written and Oli Sykes delivers them ferociously.

Despite my small criticisms, the album is overall a masterpiece. A perfect combination of darkness and jokes, mixed with drop tuned riffs and overall insanity. This album is a classic in heavy music. Lee Malia's ability to write a riff really shines through. Drummer Matt Nicholls and bassist Matt Kean keep the rhythm section tight and heavy, making the songs even more aggressive and hard-hitting. Oli Sykes' vocals are amazing as always. His low growls, mid screams, shouts and piercing highs all flow into one another perfectly and really control the dynamic of the song. The highlights for me were "It Was Written in Blood," "Sleep With One Eye Open" and "Diamonds Aren't Forever." If this CD were stolen/lost, I would probably buy another copy even though I have it on vinyl and digital. It's that amazing.