That's The Spirit review by Bring Me the Horizon

• Released: Sep 11, 2015
Bring Me the Horizon: That's The Spirit

Oli Sykes' group has got better with age. Oli has evolved in terms of vocals has become a great singer when it came to clean vocals, which he started back in "Sempiternal." Effects have become more prominent in their music which in a way showcase's their turn to the main stream. You still can hear the occasional scream, showing BMTH haven't lost what made them as they are today. And if you think the riffs left, you were wrong. BMTH still pump out the heavy shit and combines perfectly with the techno vibe they have going on. For example "Doomed," which switches perfectly between tech piece to full on metal.

They have impressed me overall with the sound and the quality is incredible. You can see the effort they put into this.

The lyrics are hard hitting and emotional, for example What You Need. They also show how people are false, "True Friends," but some other bits are hard to make sense of. But on the other hands, you have songs you can belt out and show how people can bounce back, Throne, and you have songs to unleash your best headbang, "Blasphemy." The lyrics fit with the music like a match made in heaven. Oli tries his best and changing to mainly clean vocals has been a challenge and his vocals have not been treated well due to his pure screamo past, resulting in his vocals to have a growling undertone.

In turns of their albums, it doesn't beat "Sempiternal." But they set themselves such a high bar and are within breathing distance of it. maybe it's just me, missing the hardcore sound they had. My favorite song one the album is "Doomed," track 1. It just shows how they have evolved and showcases all of their talents to the best that they can and it is a great song to sing to. The chorus makes the hairs on my neck rise every time.

I love their new vibe, in all of their work. It shows maturity compared to songs like "Antivist" which is almost like a rant, though I do love that song, and it also shows how they have evolved into a new Bring Me The Horizon. I do miss they're hardcore stuff from "Suicide Season" but they still play "Chelsea Smile" in their live shows so forgiveness is given.

If I were to loose this album, I would get myself the vinyl!