There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret. review by Bring Me the Horizon

• Released: Oct 4, 2010
Bring Me the Horizon: There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret.

From the album's slightly ridiculous title, you might have got the idea that BMTH have attempted something grand and ambitious here. You wouldn't be wrong, since the album is doused in electronic ambience, massive strings, the occasional acoustic guitar and even choirs. It's still a metal album though and metal influences brought in by new guitarist Jona Weinhofen (Ex of I Killed the Prom Queen and Bleeding Through). "There is a Hell..." is the boys' third album and following the mess that was their teenage debut "Count Your Blessings" and the vast improvement of sophomore effort "Suicide Season", it's truly do or die time for the band. Put it this way, they are not dead.

"There is a Hell" starts where Suicide Season left off and exacerbates all the positive aspects tenfold before adding a truly epic touch that makes the album positively unique. Opener "Crucify Me" is a six minute epic bolstered by a massive string sound, massive electronic voice led hooks that could catch whales and brutal guitars. Much maligned vocalist Oli Sykes and Lights' (who features both on the opener and the haunting ballad "Don't Go") interplay is a true clash between heaven and hell, with Oli's screamed hooks marrying Lights' electronic warble with beautiful effects. Ambitious though it is, it works a treat. The triple blow of the beatdown-tastic "Anthem", choir assisted lead single "It Never Ends" and the sleazy "F--k" (Featuring Josh Franceschi of British pop-punks "You Me At Six") hammer it home that BMTH are on to something here. More heavy cuts follow, with the brutal "Home Sweet Hole" and "Alligator Blood" swashbuckling their way into your brain, armed to the teeth with gang vocals, breakdowns and surprisingly memorable hooks. "Blacklist" follows on, driven by it's sleazy and effortlessly filthy riff, and doesn't drop the pace at all.

It's in their experimentation that cause BMTH to turn heads though. "Memorial's" three minutes of ambience leads seamlessly into the album's highlight "Blessed With A Curse". The 5 minute epic recalls Pink Floyd on more than one occasion, but with Sykes' pained screams giving way to the first true BMTH moment of guitar heroism from lead player Lee Malia. Simply stunning. That is not the end though. 2 minutes of pure Hardcore in the form of "The Fox and the Wolf" (Featuring Josh Scogin from The Chariot) sends the album off with more of a punch to the gut than a kiss.

Oli Sykes divides opinion, but his work on "There Is A Hell" is a cut above anything he's done before. From the super personal ("Don't Go" and "Blessed With A Curse")to the downright fun ("F--k") his lyrics are easy to relate to (more so if you have youth on your side). It's his screamed hooks that bear the most fruit though. Alligator Blood's "Lets play a game of Russian Roulette" hook is up there with his best and the Choruses on "It Never Ends" and "Home Sweet Hole" far surpass previous efforts. His scream has gotten stronger and more intelligible too.

On more than one occasion though it's the guest vocalists that make "There Is A Hell..." what it is. There are no fewer than four guest vocalists on the album, with only Sonny Moore (A.K.A Skrillex) being neglected from mention so far. All are well judged, add to the tracks and take the album to the next level.

Achievement is relative. BMTH were the laughing stock of the british metal scene no less than 2.5 years ago. That was then and this is now. "There is a Hell..." is the sound of boys becoming men. Many would agree that they were once and average band. While some people may remain convinced that they should never have had the chance to make album three, they have and there simply aren't enough superlatives. The metal world should sit up and take notice. BMTH have arrived.

FearOfTheDuck
    Grave Robber
    They've found their sound on this one, hopefully they don't go and **** it up on their next album.
    Amuro Jay
    henkka_potku wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: BMTH were the laughing stock of the british metal scene no less than 2.5 years ago. That was then and this is now AND NOTHINGS BLOODY CHANGED. Since when has -core been metal?
    Since grindcore. Long time, actually.
    EpiExplorer
    krvolok wrote: Oh the title :BMTH-TIAHBMISITIAHLSKIAS ITFJAL that all I'm gonna say.
    That sounds almost like a real word. In Finnish.
    Amuro Jay
    I was very surprised by this album. Their debut was a horrid pile of wank, but this is actually something I wouldn't be afraid to admit to liking. The part starting at 1:51 of the first song = rad. Also, guys, let's keep the flaming to a minimum.
    svitaklovemusic
    zomgwtfhaxx wrote: lol oli sykes..... twat hahaha worst album of the year, cant wait till that dick tears a hole in his vocal chords he sure ****ed up my ear
    even if you dont like the band it doesnt mean you have to bash them.
    Megalomaniac46
    Are you effing kidding me? Constellations was easily one of the best metal releases of 2009.
    OrganicCage
    Works for Meshuggah. *inb4OMG THEY USE FUCCCCCKED TIMINGS YOU NUUUUUB* But meshuggah do a lot more tastefully then BMTH. BMTH is pure scene music.
    Hammerzeit
    Hildesheimer wrote: A rating of nine? Seriously? That's quite hilarious, to be perfectly honest.
    I think you'll find it unanimously has ratings like that. Believe me, I hated CYB and I only liked 2 songs from Suicide Season but I love this. It's subjective anyway.
    travislausch
    jetfuel495 wrote: But it's the same style of teenage deviance that attracts kids to bands like this.
    And that attracted kids to bands like Motley Crue and Kiss and whatever in the first place. People seem to forget that most of their parents' favourite bands were likely the same way when they were kids: people found them fun to hate because they were popular and I guess whatever people called "scene" in the 70s and 80s. Only today we live in a much more musically open environment full of people who would die for their precious independent and progressive bands (and I'm not slagging these people. I love indie and prog to death), and there are even more people nowadays who like to rag on things for simply being popular. So yeah, tl;dr, I agree with you for the most part.
    Amuro Jay
    zomgwtfhaxx wrote: jetfuel495 wrote: Glenn Guitar wrote: I don't care anymore. Cause they won't stand the test of time.Even MC Hammer stood the test of time. mc hammer didnt stand the test of time, have u heard of him other then the a cameo to do with cant touch this?, i only hope they stand the test of time like mc hammer it means i have a bright future to look forward to in metal. but yeh go report everyone that doesn't like this album it will help you fan boys think your the majority instead of the ball and chain that keep pull metal backwards
    My point was everyone still knows his name, and everyone still loves that song. Only, BMTH are much more known for more than one song. Think of it this way, it's like modern day hair metal. So many hate on it now but in the future people will look back on it the way kids today look back at KISS, Motley Crue, and whatever. And before anyone tries to flame me for saying "lol omgz no kiss n mtly crue were way mor talented", remember, it's relative and subjective. Of course BMTH will never be as well known as those two bands. But it's the same style of teenage deviance that attracts kids to bands like this. Checked.
    Dengeki_
    SmittyMan90 wrote: OrganicCage wrote: lethaldosage45 wrote: for some who really havent explored what REAL metal is.
    Sorry, but REAL metal is any form of Heavy Metal. Heck, you can divide it into chunks and add tiny little prefixes and suffixes... but when you get down to it, it's all REAL metal. Just different in its own way. That said, Symphony X are nothing like these guys, but they're both REAL metal bands. "Oh, Hardcore isn't metal" is about as good an argument as "My dog has four legs, my cat has four legs, therefore my dog is a cat"
    Pacarazzi
    I love when nobodies trash successful bands who tried something new and are only getting better. Sure, sit here and post your trash talk. They're selling, touring, getting paid, laid, and making a name for themselves. So please..keep talking crap as they get bigger. It only goes to show how actions speak louder than words.
    TheClincher
    i was actually pretty impressed by this album, bmth have really got a lot of good things going for them, and i'd love to see them in concert sometime soon.
    Headcrusher!
    I personally liked it, so what if the boys have got in touch with their emotional sides and added a bit of synth. Still got some pretty sick riffs and Oli's voice has become a bit more bearable you have to admit.
    zirkonflex
    I don't see why people are bashing on the musical aspect that much ... I can understand you don't like the girlish looks and the gayness, but the musical part of it (except for the vocals maybe) are not bad. I once also had this "Who is this?" "BMTH" situation where I was like "Really ?, that sounds nice". I have always disliked core for a lot of reasons and sticked with "real" Deathmetal, but some of the stuff these guys do nowadays (including Carnifex, Parkway Drive and Annotations of an Autopsy) surpasses some of the well known Death Metal acts, although theyll probably never reach the awesomeness of Malevolent Creation or Decapitated for example. Just be a little more open and ignore the scene guys, I thought thats what metal was about in the first place :o. Listening to an album of this and liking it doesn't mean we'll all have to cut our hair wierd and start getting vegetarian tatooed up pussies. just saying.
    Xx__benji__xX
    Ridiculous album title, but a really good album if you're into hardcore with very chuggy riffs! The electro vibe this album has going on is in my opinion brilliant! I think it's unfair to slate the band without listening to this album!
    boomtank
    The opening riff of 'The Comedown' (1st track from suicide season) made me realise how awesome this band is. Definately gonna check this out! I really like how the singer sounds like he's not screaming but just talking really loud
    Amuro Jay
    Oh, just wait for the deluxe edition: There is a Hell, Believe Me I've Seen it, There is a Heaven, Let's Keep it a Secret, but I Currently Reside in Middle Earth.
    svitaklovemusic
    the new albunm is really awesome, its different then suicide season but its good. people should give it a chance.
    C1ae
    personally i was more then ready to write off this album as a failure after listening to it once. but after a few more plays i realized there were some really good tracks on it. i think Suicide Season was a better album as a whole but this one isn't too bad
    EpiExplorer
    AND NOTHINGS BLOODY CHANGED.
    adj209
    xicetraex wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: BMTH were the laughing stock of the british metal scene no less than 2.5 years ago. That was then and this is now AND NOTHINGS BLOODY CHANGED. Lol, agreed.
    Agreed. Poser-Metal.
    lethaldosage45
    xicetraex
    Lol, agreed.
    MLK5060
    I've never heard such a bunch of moronic, ridiculous and downright idiotic "opinions" from people in my life. The album (for anyone not narrow minded enough to dismiss it immediately because it isn't full of self-indulgent guitar solo's or because the people in the band have more musical talent than half of the people flaming in here) is very good. It's different, full of fresh sounds and different production work which is what metal needs in my opinion as lately it all feels very "I've heard all this before". The electonic work is exceptional, changes the feel of the songs enough whilst allowing the heavier elements to contrast more and stand-out, so it doesn't feel like you're listening to yet another album of straight-forward heavy metal. As far as an album goes, its got a hell of a lot more longetivity than most efforts I've heard recently ("Constellations" by August Burns Red instantly springs to mind, never been so turned off by an album in all my life). If you're interested in hearing a fresh take on melodic metal that has a wide-ranging appeal then give this a listen. If you're a twelve year-old who doesn't listen to the band before giving an informed opinion, steer well clear. Odds are their haircuts will offend you and hey, that defines the quality of the music, right?
    elleild
    Only good thing about the album is Josh Scogin, but he only get like 10 seconds...
    roosterfx1
    FearOfTheDuck wrote: Judging by the comments such as "just a bunch of kids with downtuned guitars, open chugs and breakdowns" and "scene music" then i can tell straight away that you haven't even listened to them. Count Your Blessings was a poor album but if you say Suicide Season and There is a Hell... are just chuggy breakdowns and scene music you are just jumping on the "oh its cool to not like BMTH" bandwagon. I've seen them twice this year and they have become unstopable, they are not the kids they used to be. Look what the God of metal, the most metal man on the planet, had to say about them http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/rob-ha... me-the-horizon-for-pushing-limits/ He puts all of you to shame.
    yeah but hes gay, so obviously he like them.
    travislausch
    Dakkstar wrote: travislausch wrote: Dakkstar wrote: FearOfTheDuck wrote: There is a Hell... is also the most innovative and far out album of 2010. Ihsahn - After If "After" is the single most innovative thing to happen to music in 2010, then I'm the goddamn president. Barack!? Is that you!?
    Fuck yeah. But seriously, as much as I love "After", it certainly isn't trendsetting or innovative. It's not reinventing the wheel by any measure. Ihsahn's not the first metal musician to play an eight string guitar, or use sax solos, or use ambient chord progressions and vocal harmonies. I'm not turning this around saying BMTH is innovative, either, quite the contrary, but my point is that good =/= innovative. Nor is it vice versa.
    travislausch
    And really, they're not the "cancer that's killing metal" that most of you say they are. At worst, maybe the poison ivy giving metal a bit of a rash that'll go away in a few days.
    dementiacaptain
    atreyumetallica wrote: can sum1 who is not a fanboy or hater of this band tel me if there anygood:S?
    i am neither. this album isnt bad, but i kinda got tired of it. i think they are alrite, but thats because im not stuck on the fact that they are kinda girly. they arnt "real" metal in the sense that they arnt nile or carcass or morbid angel or anything of those lines, but they still make kinda neat songs that hold my interest for a bit. buy it if you need a more emotional less brutal album, but dont expect obituary.
    Dakkstar
    When I first heard this band I was like "oh neat." Then I realized quickly after the second listen that it seems like they take five songs chop it up and try to pull it off like it's a coherent thought, but it truly comes off poorly executed and hard to listen to. Many modern bands need to learn a bit more about song construction the stop and go, riff, stop, riff stop style needs to change. Songs should sound like a song, not a mish mash of garbage.
    Dakkstar
    SmittyMan90 wrote: Lame metal, this stuff all sounds the same, trying to imitate what Pantera did and what Lamb of God do best.
    Well that's the problem with modern metal, when they talk about heroes they only talk about other metal bands. To truly expand as a musician you need to stop listening to one band and imitating, but clearly that's not happening, everyone is trying to out brutal the last.. OH MAN!! SYNCOPATED OPEN DROP C CHUGGING TO A HALF TIME BEAT!!!! BR00000T4LLLLL!!!! I mean that breakdown was heavier than all that ever was. Things need to change, also the screaming, growling, and pig squeals? Seriously? what happened to singing?
    zomgwtfhaxx
    Ihsahn - After
    Dengeki_
    To everyone slagging off BMTH, please, do yourself a favour. Listen to the Title track off Suicide Season - yeah, sit through 8 minutes and 20 of pure brilliance. That song is so charged with emotion, and is pure hardcore music at its very best. These guys came through with Suicide Season, and I'm very excited to check out this new album. Approach everything with an open mind people, don't just go into it thinking "oh, BMTH (or BFMV, or whoever else)" Look at it and think, "Oh, a new BMTH title. I'll see what that's like BEFORE I make up my mind and start ripping on them". Jeez.
    cortes239
    Seems like a lot of you jits are trashing this band. There only reasons I really disliked this band was because they were heavy (which was good) and turned all lame on Suicide Season. Another reason I dislike this band is because the band's fans are mainly girls haha
    The Spoon
    Well I thought Count Your Blessings was a really fun album with some pretty good guitar work. Suicide Season was mostly boring. Need to listen to this album still.
    Lion_Slicer
    EpiExplorer wrote: Hammerzeit wrote: lethaldosage45 wrote: This band is a just a bunch of kids with low tuned guitars hammering out open chugs and breakdowns. I don't think I would ever spend money on such nonsense! No real musicianship here. You haven't listened to it. You might be surprised. Nope, even 3 songs in and its still the shit that people called Katy Kuntz and Adam Assface listen to.
    I just tried listening to it too, it couldn't be all that bad... but what the hell? I couldn't find any coherence within the songs, either from one part to the next or even between the instruments in one part, and the vocalist is probably one of the worst I've ever heard. I had to STRUGGLE to make it through Crucify Me, pretty awful. And so-called highlight Blessed With A Curse ("5 minute epic"?) would have benefited greatly from an actual singer--it would sound like almost any generic metalcore song. I'd really like to know what it is that makes people think BMTH is anything special/what limits they are pushing.
    Barack!? Is that you!?
    im not mental
    pwned
    EpiExplorer
    As much as I like talking to you sometimes.. lets leave it at that, cuz you obviously haven't listened to Enslaved's new album, which is the alternative to effing Opeth if you cant wait for an album (I know I cant..).
    LightxGrenade
    this is my first real exposure to this band. I've heard OF them but never really heard them. I like what they're trying to do. Not perfect by any means but still good though. I youtubed some of their older stuff and their style has changed quite a bit, but the new stuff is appealing to me.