There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret. review by Bring Me the Horizon

• Released: Oct 4, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Bring Me the Horizon: There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret.

Oliver Sykes is one of the biggest douches in music, period. Now that that's out of the way, let's discuss this record. There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven Let's Keep It A Secret is really long to type out in my review multiple times, so I shall refer to the album as Bob from now on. The first thing you notice when you purchase the album is the album artwork, it's some pretty interesting stuff and the booklet folds out nicely. I was somewhat impressed by it as I took the CD out and popped it into my car stereo, and we're off! The album opens with a clean guitar diddly, which then progresses into Crucify Me. Overall, this song is pretty good but I don't feel like it should have been the opener to the album because after CM, the album throws you into Anthem, which is just a good ole' down and dirty breakdown fest. The CD puts you in a euphoric mood and then throws you up against the wall, not the smoothest of transitions. The outro to Anthem gives me some chills, and then leads into It Never Ends, which is probably BMTH's best song to date, yet sadly the last heavy melodic song on the CD. It's a real bummer because they seem to do the orchestra-and-metalcore thing quite well but abandon it less than halfway through the CD. F*ck is rather unmemorable. Don't Go is very sweet, with Lights singing melodies everywhere. The rest of the songs are just breakdown after breakdown with the exception of two: Memorial which is an instrumental, and Blessed With A Curse which is a weird spacey electronica thing. There's only one song you desperately need to avoid on this album, and that would be Blacklist. It tries entirely too hard to be brutal and menacing, but it's main riff just feels like it wanders to nowhere, and it has an extremely crappy solo.

Oli is Oli, so you know what to expect. The only thing I really have to say about him is that he sounds exactly the same as he did on Suicide Season, but his lows are surprisingly much better on this record as well as being coherent, but that's more of a production thing than a vocalist getting better type deal. The guest appearances are nice, but short lived, and I honestly can't tell Scogin apart from Sykes in the last track, so there's no point there.

Overall, this album was something fresh and exciting from the band, but nothing too new to the genre itself. The addition of Lights, strings, electronics and an orchestra are all very nice, but sadly BMTH didn't really work with any of those elements enough to separate them from the pack. I thoroughly enjoy this band and everything it's ever released, but I'll probably only be spinning this for a couple weeks before it just goes on as another CD in my car player.

Hammerzeit
    Dakkstar
    FearOfTheDuck wrote: The thing is, BMTH sound completely different to everyone else, they are one of the bands that bands like Escape the Fate look at and copy their sound. So many pathetic reasons why people don't like this band. If you have negative feelings towards them and go listen to them, you're not going to like it because you're not wanting to like it and not truly giving them a chance.
    I've given them multiple chances right from the start. I've been listening to the new album and first thing I heard was rehashing of From Autumn To Ashes riffs from their final studio album, add in some Atreyu styled gang vocals (I know other bands do it too, but it's pretty prominent), add a bit of Abandon All Ships and you got youself the new BMTH album. I mean it sounds okay, but it just sounds 23rd rate. I'm not fully hating on them, I mean I can listen to their music without cringing or having to leave the room. It's just there are other bands I'd rather listen to, bands that musically and lyrically hit home. If a band is gonna sound like a FATA knock off with some other elements I'd rather listen to FATA is all I'm saying.
    eternal_Lord
    has it ever occurred to anyone that maybe they weren't trying to make a true metal album? I'm so sick of seeing comments like "this isn't metal, its -core so it has to be shit". Maybe this is the kind of music they enjoy making? I'm actually pretty sure that's why they do it. So they like to Chug away on drop z-tuned guitars (which Meshuggah does, albeit with fuuuuucked up timing..but still...) and put electronics in their songs and feature pop punk singers and use a paragraph for an album title. Whatever. Before suicide season, i loved to hate BMTH as much as anyone else. They were so juvenile and generic it was painful. Suicide season redeemed them, slightly in my eyes. This album seals the deal. They actually seem to have moved somewhere musically. They're not technical, nor do they claim to be. They're not "METUUUULLLLLZZZZ" enough to play along such bands as Metallica and slayer (the quintessential metal bands) but why would they want to when they're already selling out arenas? Listen to this album carefully...i am not hearing anybody doing this groove-laden, alternative hardcore thing. Wanna know what made Metallica and Slayer, Anthrax and Maiden so popular? It was the fact that they were doing stuff that was different from what people were doing at the time. BMTH has breathed some freshness into the stale genre with this album, kudos to them from breaking away from the As Blood Runs Black and August Burns Red syndrome.
    FearOfTheDuck
    The thing is, BMTH sound completely different to everyone else, they are one of the bands that bands like Escape the Fate look at and copy their sound. So many pathetic reasons why people don't like this band. If you have negative feelings towards them and go listen to them, you're not going to like it because you're not wanting to like it and not truly giving them a chance. Ehhh i don't care, seeing them live at Sonisphere changed my opinion of them and the music made more sense. So i went and saw them again and the new stuff sounded amazing. I got a friend at college into them, who's favourite bands include Mayhem, Bathory and Deicide.. He loves them now, and the only reason he didn't like them before was because of their image (which is nothing compared to some other bands). Close minded elitist fools. I think you just feel threatened that this "scene" band can produce such high quality music and lyrics. With the exception of Count Your Blessings which was awful. #rant
    FearOfTheDuck
    And wow, that second review was so bad! Oli Sykes is a prick? Have you ever met him? Yeah so guys, Morgan Freeman is one of the biggest pricks in history, i've never met him, but he is.
    uninsane_guitar
    atreyumetallica wrote: can sum1 who is not a fanboy or hater of this band tel me if there anygood:S?
    Listen I've heard alllll the haters and allll the fanboys and girls and well the way I usually judge a band is if they can match or surpass whay they produce in the studio live in concert. They were one of the bands my friend wanted to see at Warped this year and since I had heard some of CYB and Suicide Season I thought they were worth a try at least. (I was there to see Dillinger Escape Plan (got to meet every one of them, they're fu cking awesome!), Every Time I Die, Whitechapel, and Suicide Silence) They opened up with Diamonds Aren't Forever and it just sounded EPIC. I was blown away. By the time they played Pray for Plagues I was in the circle pit destroying shit! (look up on YouTube BMTH Noblesville, IN Warped 2010 circle pit, I'm in it lol) Trust me, after seeing them live I was hooked. And I'm a guy that has seen ACDC, Metallica, Lamb of God TWICE (met Will Adler and shook Randy's hand) Converge, Between the Buried and Me, Gojira, Atreyu, All That Remains, and Iron Maiden. I was really impressed and I think the critics just jump on the "it's cool to hate on BMTH" bandwagon. I'm just listening to this album and I can tell you right now that I couldn't believe this was BMTH upon first listen. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. Btw another band that blew me away at Warped this year was Parkway Drive. Off subject I know but dammmnnnnn they are fun to listen to while punching hardcore dancing scenies in the face lol. And hey you hate em, fine hate em but just so you know I'm a real metalhead not some scene kid. Btw I only have a few more bands I wanna see before I die lol Mastodon, Dream Theater, Rush, and Opeth. After that, I can die happy lol. Maybe they can all tour together?
    Dakkstar
    travislausch wrote: Dakkstar wrote: travislausch wrote: Dakkstar wrote: FearOfTheDuck wrote: There is a Hell... is also the most innovative and far out album of 2010. Ihsahn - After If "After" is the single most innovative thing to happen to music in 2010, then I'm the goddamn president. Barack!? Is that you!? Fuck yeah. But seriously, as much as I love "After", it certainly isn't trendsetting or innovative. It's not reinventing the wheel by any measure. Ihsahn's not the first metal musician to play an eight string guitar, or use sax solos, or use ambient chord progressions and vocal harmonies. I'm not turning this around saying BMTH is innovative, either, quite the contrary, but my point is that good =/= innovative. Nor is it vice versa.
    Good point.
    Lion_Slicer
    Hammerzeit wrote: Lion_Slicer wrote: Hildesheimer wrote: A rating of nine? Seriously? That's quite hilarious, to be perfectly honest. Well here is UG users' usual rating scale: 10- I am 12 or this is Blackwater Park 9 - I just got it/am listening to it now 8 - I only listened to it once but I want to be one of the first reviews 7 - Actual review but everyone will flame me for being a hater The other numbers just don't exist. Very few reviewers here grasp the concept. I'd been playing this for over a week before I bought it. It was on their myspace for that long so anyone could have listened to it and typed the review up. I have read some of my older writings for this site and they were similar to how you describe. I gave Libertad by VR a 9? WTF? I was a special kid. The point is that things should be judged straight away. Time affects things. That's the difference between a good album and classic. Good albums fade. Classics stay with you. I have at no point said this is a classic. Just saying. It's just a very good album from a very bad band. People here are missing the point a bit. It's RELATIVE. Compared to CYB this is amazing. Compared to Master of Puppets (actually a little overrated. RTL is better) this sucks. That's not the point. You can only compare to what's there now and compared to that this is better than most people are giving it credit for.
    True, I didn't really know how long you'd listened to it, just saying that almost every album here (not necessarily this one) gets a numerical rating far higher than it actually deserves. What's more important to me in a review than the raw number is if the writing itself conveys whether the album is worth a listen and you did a good job with that. Still think the band is just average musically, and I just can't tolerate the vocals. Oh and I totally prefer AJFA... haha
    uninsane_guitar wrote: Btw I only have a few more bands I wanna see before I die lol Mastodon, Dream Theater, Rush, and Opeth. After that, I can die happy lol. Maybe they can all tour together?
    I saw Mastodon in Chicago on their Crack the Skye tour! Never left the pit, never been more exhausted in my life. They're even making a DVD of that show! With you on Opeth. Also, I'm thinking the most innovative thing I've heard this year is Asleep Next to Science by ORBS.
    spidersquasher
    MLK5060 wrote: Megalomaniac46 wrote: ("Constellations" by August Burns Red instantly springs to mind, never been so turned off by an album in all my life) Are you effing kidding me? Constellations was easily one of the best metal releases of 2009. In your opinion, to me it just sounded like "Messengers" part two, which itself was boring. They have a few good songs per album and then they repeat the formula of those songs over and over. Don't get me wrong, I love a melody line over syncopated guitar/bass/drum work with screaming over the top but after 5 songs worth I need something a little different. Technically they're good, if you're talking about their imagination though they're severly lacking and its all a bit one-dimensional. Something you can't really accuse "There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It..." of being. So, in answer to your question I'm not kidding you and as for "one of the best metal releases of 2009" I really don't think you could put "COnstellations" in the same category as "Crack The Skye" by Mastodon or "The Great Misdirect" by Between The Buried and Me.
    Say ABR cuz they were opening for UnderOath and i wanted to slit my throat, they were terrible. The music is amateurish and with a bit of practice i could play any of it. I saw no ingenuity in anything of theirs. It was just straight up technical shit and not even good technical shit. But to BMTH. No matter what, you have to say there is nothing like this around. I personally like it but i can clearly see how people couldn't. What i like the most is that it sounds like they're playing what they want to instead of any metal formula much like the aforementioned. ABR does. BMTH may not be OMGGG THE BEST BAND EVERRR, but they're interesting and i will be taking a few of their ideas for my own stuff. I quite liked how they included electronics without making it horrible dance-pop over drop-d breakdowns. I did feel the riffs were suffering a bit technically and found myself wondering where the talent they showed on CYB went. Didn't enjoy that album too much, but it makes for a great warmup and i wish they could incorporate some of that into this.
    MLK5060