There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret. review by Bring Me the Horizon

• Released: Oct 4, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Bring Me the Horizon: There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret.

The time that I really started to notice BMTH's clime in popularity was around five to six months after they released Suicide Season. I have known about them since day one, but I didn't truly get into them until about early summer in 2009. I currently own all of their albums on CD except for this one. In Count Your Blessings, BMTH was very creative, and was amazing in the area of technicality, musicianship, and tempo. The guitar solos were a bit primitive, but hey, no one's perfect. Suicide Season somewhat lacked in the musicianship area. But the band was so creative it blew me away. I also noticed that they started drifting towards metalcore a little bit in that album. Two of the songs were pure metalcore. Now, in their third full length album, they have dropped majorly in musicianship and technicality (except for the drummer, who has gotten much better), they aren't all that tight anymore, and they aren't very creative at all. Oliver has officially f--ked himself over. He screamed the wrong way, and the yelling thing he does is slightly damaging to his throat. So now, all he does is that yelling thing (which is cool, but it gets old really fast). He does growl a line or two in every other song or so. There are two types of songs on this record. There are the really fast, driving (and sometimes) heavy metalcore sounding songs, which I actually like, most of them aren't that bad. But the problem is, is that they all basically sound the same. The other songs are more of a soft, really melodic metalcore sounding songs, which annoy me. They have no creativity, and yelling doesn't sound good with soft music. I would also like to note that the album cover is one of the worst covers I have ever seen. It's just too weird.

I am only going to talk about the songs that stuck out to me in some way. The first song is a longer than normal song. It's one of the softer songs, with a few driving parts with the really high pitched melodic trembolo picking that the guitarist likes to do. Then, at the second half of the song, this annoying girl's voice comes in all digitized (in a very disturbing way) and ruins the whole song. My favorite song off of the record would probably have to be Anthem. The guitars are very simple and not very creative, but the drumming is amazing. This is a song that I would mosh too, and there is some screaming and growling in the song to put the icing on the cupcake. Blacklist is a fairly ok song that has quite a bit of growling in it, and is a good song for the headbangers, but the song is pretty repetitive, and the tempo doesn't change very much. The song Fuck is stupid. There is no creativity or tempo that I know of. But the lyrics are friggen hilarious.

So overall, the album is pretty crappy for a band like BMTH. The drummer though has improved greatly, so I'll give the thumbs up on that. I am a diehard BMTH fan, and I'm majorly disappointed with this release. For all you metalcore fans out there, it wouldn't hurt to give this album a try, some of you out there might like it.

archangelseren
    bands change wether we like it or not if its not to your liking doesnt mean its shit we all know this there musicians if you think its bad your entitled to your opinion but at the end of the day musics music no matter what you think its either them actually expressing themselves or tryen to make money of someone elses sound whether or not that is incidental. this is a great discussion btw but stop talking about genres they are pointless!!!!
    robbie-rocks
    roosterfx1 wrote: FearOfTheDuck wrote: Judging by the comments such as "just a bunch of kids with downtuned guitars, open chugs and breakdowns" and "scene music" then i can tell straight away that you haven't even listened to them. Count Your Blessings was a poor album but if you say Suicide Season and There is a Hell... are just chuggy breakdowns and scene music you are just jumping on the "oh its cool to not like BMTH" bandwagon. I've seen them twice this year and they have become unstopable, they are not the kids they used to be. Look what the God of metal, the most metal man on the planet, had to say about them http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/rob-ha... me-the-horizon-for-pushing-limits/ He puts all of you to shame. yeah but hes gay, so obviously he like them.
    LOL can't take Rob Halford's view on bmth seriously now :p the band aren't the greatest thing, they're not doing anything new but the first half of this album is alright...still not that memorable though.
    Xx__benji__xX
    MLK5060 wrote: By the way, as far as awful album titles go I think "Death Magnetic" takes some beating.
    You've actually made my day mate!
    oncogeniczen
    I wish he would have changed up his scream a little on this album, like he did on Count Your Blessings...