There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret. review by Bring Me the Horizon

• Released: Oct 4, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Bring Me the Horizon: There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret.

For a deathcore-turned-metalcore band, some of the riffs aren't that bad. Sure, you've heard them a thousand times before, but they are delivered with some precision here, especially on "Anthem". "Home Sweet Hole" has a punk rock feel to it, while "Alligator Blood" reminds me of something Hellyeah would come up with. "Visions" and "Blacklist" have a nice groove to it as well, and "Fox And The Wolf" reminds me of Cancer Bats (incidentally friends of BMtH as well). I commend the guitar work on this album, even if it's the same old stuff you've heard from the same metalcore bands before. Jona Weinhofen (I Killed The Prom Queen, Bleeding Through) brings a new sense of aggression for the band. For the most part, however, the album is two guitars taking a back seat to the electronica influences on this album. The drums do their job in keeping the rhythm, and the bass-- wait, was there even bass on this album? Regarding the electronics used on this album, they make Bring Me the Horizon sound like a band who's just experimenting for the sake of experimenting. When Lights sings on "Crucify Me", the electronica sounds annoying, I actually like hearing vocal passages being completed without interruption. It doesn't get much better on "Blacklist", but it's not overly terrible. Admittedly, the best song on this record is the instrumental "Memorial", and it's not just because it lacks Oli Sykes (more on that later). There is a certain ambience that seems to recall Underoath here, and it serves as an interlude for introspection which I can dig.

Whoever told Oli Sykes he was a great "singer" and "lyricist" needs to be dressed up as a pinata, hung upside down by their ankles, and fed to a bunch of hyperactive six year olds. His vocals reminds me of Underoath's Spencer Chamberlain if he stopped trying and was just going through the motions. The intro of "Don't Go" was going fine until that moron ruined it with his "I'M A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION" 'vocals'. The best singer on this album is Josh Scogin of The Chariot on "Fox And The Wolf", but that's not really saying much. For every good lyric on this album, there's at least three more dragging down the quality. Lyrics such as the ones found on "Alligator Blood" ("Let's play a game of Russian roulette, I'll load the gun, you place the bets. Tell me, who will make it out alive.") and "Anthem" ("This is an anthem, so f**king sing. A dedication to the end of everything.") reek of cliche, and the ones that are good are repeated to the point where it becomes tedious (the album title being repeated over and over in "Crucify Me"). And don't get me started on "F**k". Good lord. I think this band would be a lot better without Oli Sykes, he hurts this band musically more than he helps it. If BMTH got someone who could actually scream and write decent lyrics, Oli could probably just appear in promo shots only just to keep his fans happy. But that's just my opinion.

All in all, I felt really underwhelmed by what this album had to offer. The music is good, but the album is ultimately brought down by cliches, irritating vocals, and a sense of trying too hard. If you're a diehard fan of the band, that's great, each to their own. But if you're looking for something dynamic from a metalcore band, Bring Me The Horizon's latest effort is not one you should be looking into. There is a band, believe me I've heard it. They have a singer, they should keep it a secret.

drsynyster
    Hammerzeit wrote: All the reviews except the top one review the band. Not the album. This is a brilliant album by a crap band. People just can't see that.
    For some people that's incomprehensible.
    mcr_2010
    I dont understand why people get on here just to talk shit about other bands. If you dont like them, why dont you get off their articles and get a life?
    ajm321
    FearOfTheDuck wrote: Judging by the comments such as "just a bunch of kids with downtuned guitars, open chugs and breakdowns" and "scene music" then i can tell straight away that you haven't even listened to them. Count Your Blessings was a poor album but if you say Suicide Season and There is a Hell... are just chuggy breakdowns and scene music you are just jumping on the "oh its cool to not like BMTH" bandwagon. I've seen them twice this year and they have become unstopable, they are not the kids they used to be. Look what the God of metal, the most metal man on the planet, had to say about them http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/rob-ha... me-the-horizon-for-pushing-limits/ He puts all of you to shame.
    I have to say I completely agree with you. I think this Album was incredibly delicious. They are definitely improving. All these people down talk bands but no matter how someone can down talk a band it's going to happen anyway. I'm sure BMTH doesn't GIVE A SH**! BMTH IS AMAZING!
    knifethehorizon
    CJCKO
    knifethehorizon wrote: What Alaska did for BTBAM, Horizons did for Parkway Drive, I dunno what other example I can use...but what those albums did for those bands, did for Bring Me The Horizon right here. They found their sound, and the perfected. They grey into musicians with this album, and of course all the tough guy, death metal loving, anti-BMTH people out there are gonna automatically write it off and then immediately proceed to bash it in forums like this. This album is amazing. There's nothing wrong with harmony tough guys. It sounds a lot better than the music you're comparing Bring Me The Horizon to. Take the time you spend bashing this band, and actually listen to them and you will find yourself to be a closed minded person who regretted not giving BMTH a chance earlier on. They were terrible prior, I'll give you that. But they grey into musicians on this album, it's a lot more mature. See for yourself, I'm just so sick of hearing this band get bashed by you tough guy chug chug chug death metal cattle decapitation loving people out there. Who cares if it's not "real metal"? What is "real metal" in the first place? That's why there's different genres, because BMTH is not going to sound like brutal death metal, it's its own thing. Give it a chance to all of you nay sayers. That's all I'm tryna convey to you.
    dude ur absolutely right. i mean come on this album has shown a lot more progress and matureness than the first 2 albums. this band has found their sound and i think this albums amazing. i love all their albums but this album shows its creativity. going from heavy songs like alligator blood to soft songs like blessing with a curse. this sound is amazing. and for you guys who complain about oli and that he cant sing. hes trying a different type of singing. half screaming/ half yelling. hes doing that so that fans who want to sing along dont have to scream it. if you hate this band and the album. LEAVE! nobody wants you here to hear about you complain about this band.
    adstr123
    Read my last comment. I listened to the album a few more times. I changed my mind. Nuff said. Give it a chance people. It's just because I wasn't used to the new BMTH is all.
    spaceace12342
    Good album, took me by surprise, I think they improve vastly every record they make. I love reading comments on this website, I've never read a review where EVERYONE liked the subject, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it, instead of complaining about it on a website.
    Hammerzeit
    §ynysterSte
    open minded would be nice... just to put aside your feelings towards certain members of the band and FOCUS ON THE MUSIC THEY MAKE. Yeah if you havnt guessed i love the album mainly the first half of it
    CJCKO
    i love count your blessings and suicide season. they were better instrumentally in CTB and suicide season was mainly an open e string on drop A (except for the last 3 songs)but this album went back to doing better instrumetals. for example it never ends, crucify me. F##ck (which hasa a solo) crucify me, and both dont go and blessed with a curse. which are 2 songs played on clean. i like this album. it has better instrumental then suicide season, but not better than count your blessings.
    CJCKO
    i love count your blessings and suicide season. they were better instrumentally in CTB.suicide season was mainly an open e string on drop A (except for the last sadness will never and and suicide season)but this album went back to doing better instrumetals. for example it never ends, crucify me. F##ck (which hasa a solo) crucify me, and both dont go and blessed with a curse. which are 2 songs played on clean. i like this album. it has better instrumental then suicide season, but not better than count your blessings.
    postmortemspasm
    EpiExplorer wrote: krvolok wrote: Oh the title :BMTH-TIAHBMISITIAHLSKIAS ITFJAL that all I'm gonna say. That sounds almost like a real word. In Finnish.
    At least its easier to say than the album title...
    JakeFreeman
    I haven't liked this band much since Count Your Blessings. Suicide Season was pretty good at first but got really old really fast. Oliver Sykes' yelling or whatever it is that he does now in the place of screaming gets realy annoying. I've always really liked his lows. It kind of sucks that he barely does them now. I haven't actually taken the time to listen to this entire album yet, but a friend showed me 'Crucify Me', and though I have a feeling it would be like Suicide Season in the sense that it would get old pretty fast, I will admit I was pretty impressed. The instruments don't seem as creative, but I did like the girl singing in it. It stuck out quite a bit and made it a bit more memorable.