artist: Bring Me the Horizon date: 10/06/2010 category: compact discs
Bring Me the Horizon: There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret.
Released: Oct 4, 2010
Genre: Metalcore
Label: Visible Noise
 Lyrics: 6.6
 7.5
 7.3
 7.7
 2,543
There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret. Reviewed by: Hammerzeit, on october 06, 2010

Sound: From the album's slightly ridiculous title, you might have got the idea that BMTH have attempted something grand and ambitious here. You wouldn't be wrong, since the album is doused in electronic ambience, massive strings, the occasional acoustic guitar and even choirs. It's still a metal album though and metal influences brought in by new guitarist Jona Weinhofen (Ex of I Killed the Prom Queen and Bleeding Through). "There is a Hell..." is the boys' third album and following the mess that was their teenage debut "Count Your Blessings" and the vast improvement of sophomore effort "Suicide Season", it's truly do or die time for the band. Put it this way, they are not dead.

"There is a Hell" starts where Suicide Season left off and exacerbates all the positive aspects tenfold before adding a truly epic touch that makes the album positively unique. Opener "Crucify Me" is a six minute epic bolstered by a massive string sound, massive electronic voice led hooks that could catch whales and brutal guitars. Much maligned vocalist Oli Sykes and Lights' (who features both on the opener and the haunting ballad "Don't Go") interplay is a true clash between heaven and hell, with Oli's screamed hooks marrying Lights' electronic warble with beautiful effects. Ambitious though it is, it works a treat. The triple blow of the beatdown-tastic "Anthem", choir assisted lead single "It Never Ends" and the sleazy "F--k" (Featuring Josh Franceschi of British pop-punks "You Me At Six") hammer it home that BMTH are on to something here. More heavy cuts follow, with the brutal "Home Sweet Hole" and "Alligator Blood" swashbuckling their way into your brain, armed to the teeth with gang vocals, breakdowns and surprisingly memorable hooks. "Blacklist" follows on, driven by it's sleazy and effortlessly filthy riff, and doesn't drop the pace at all.

It's in their experimentation that cause BMTH to turn heads though. "Memorial's" three minutes of ambience leads seamlessly into the album's highlight "Blessed With A Curse". The 5 minute epic recalls Pink Floyd on more than one occasion, but with Sykes' pained screams giving way to the first true BMTH moment of guitar heroism from lead player Lee Malia. Simply stunning. That is not the end though. 2 minutes of pure Hardcore in the form of "The Fox and the Wolf" (Featuring Josh Scogin from The Chariot) sends the album off with more of a punch to the gut than a kiss. // 9

Lyrics: Oli Sykes divides opinion, but his work on "There Is A Hell" is a cut above anything he's done before. From the super personal ("Don't Go" and "Blessed With A Curse")to the downright fun ("F--k") his lyrics are easy to relate to (more so if you have youth on your side). It's his screamed hooks that bear the most fruit though. Alligator Blood's "Lets play a game of Russian Roulette" hook is up there with his best and the Choruses on "It Never Ends" and "Home Sweet Hole" far surpass previous efforts. His scream has gotten stronger and more intelligible too.

On more than one occasion though it's the guest vocalists that make "There Is A Hell..." what it is. There are no fewer than four guest vocalists on the album, with only Sonny Moore (A.K.A Skrillex) being neglected from mention so far. All are well judged, add to the tracks and take the album to the next level. // 9

Overall Impression: Achievement is relative. BMTH were the laughing stock of the british metal scene no less than 2.5 years ago. That was then and this is now. "There is a Hell..." is the sound of boys becoming men. Many would agree that they were once and average band. While some people may remain convinced that they should never have had the chance to make album three, they have and there simply aren't enough superlatives. The metal world should sit up and take notice. BMTH have arrived. // 9

There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret. Reviewed by: Sketchar, on october 08, 2010

Sound: First of all, the sound of the album is quite different to the rest of their albums, the album has a very nice sound to it, and I would say this would be considered metalcore, not deathcore as count your blessings was. Oli does scream in this album, but not as much as they use to, and for the record, Oli's vocal chords aren't "f--ked" I recently seen bring me the horizon live and he still can, just he chooses to sing differently, but hey that is his choice. The us of keys and choir is really like a small thing added into songs, so it ain't like, "oh let's put techno shiz into this and say it's innovative", One of the things I REALLY like with this album, is that they aren't doing the stereotypical metal band thing (which some naive "metal heads" think it should be like, even though metal is a large and diverse genre), they took out playing things fast and screaming, packing it together and being "hardcore" and pleasing the one view so called "metal heads", these songs have a new rhythm which is really nice, and has some nice breakdowns and heavy parts, but also added some clean so parts, which adds a nice feel to their songs, their songs actually have feeling to it, that spine tapping feeling when you hear something that is just so smooth and deep, and yes bmth are now playing so deep music which is great, they kept their heaviness and added feel to it, I think this was a much better way to go than suicide season. The guitar, bass, and drums sound really nice in this album, and the writing of the songs is great, it has fast paced playing, and slow paced playing, breakdowns, so I think the instrument side of this is really innovative, and has a new sound to it, they are also now playing in Drop C and not Drop B like their previous albums, which I think was a nice choice. Also now the guitar has an interesting rhythm to it, and what is really different, is how they are playing a lot of high notes instead of just going with some heavy sounding ones. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album is also great, it seems like the lyrics are having a slight religious twist to them, which interesting. The words they pick seems to run smoothly with their songs as well. Oli screams and does that yelling sound through out the album, how I see it, he isn't making every bit heavy, so you will be hearing him "yell" and then, boom, heavy scream, makes the heavy parts and the songs all more worth it how I see it. // 9

Overall Impression: The album is very different and I haven't heard anything like it from anyone else, it has that bmth sound to it still which is great. I love how unique this new album is, and how deep it is, and not some heavy chugs (which people say they are, but of course if they ACTUALLY listened to them, they would know this is not the case). This band gets convicted since oli had a "scene" look when the band started out, and people who like metal are all like, oh how gay, he likes his hair. This sort of unfair judging is what causes all these stupid debates on metal, metal is MUSIC, not how people dress and look. Also I have seen Oli live, and he ain't a dick when they play live, so people are just making up things to bring down bmth's reputation. This is a great album and is unfairly judged by second hand opinions. Their best songs I would say are (on this album): Visions Blessing with a curse It never ends Home Sweet Hole the rest are good aswell, but these please me the most. I hope, one day, there won't be these "oh I hate this band cuz I saw a guy that didn't like them to, cuz I am so hardcore", people need to make their own opinions, like seriously, how un-metal to have a little cry about how the singer looks. BMTH is a good band // 10

There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret. Reviewed by: tancanada, on october 07, 2010

Sound: Oliver Sykes is one of the biggest douches in music, period. Now that that's out of the way, let's discuss this record. There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven Let's Keep It A Secret is really long to type out in my review multiple times, so I shall refer to the album as Bob from now on. The first thing you notice when you purchase the album is the album artwork, it's some pretty interesting stuff and the booklet folds out nicely. I was somewhat impressed by it as I took the CD out and popped it into my car stereo, and we're off! The album opens with a clean guitar diddly, which then progresses into Crucify Me. Overall, this song is pretty good but I don't feel like it should have been the opener to the album because after CM, the album throws you into Anthem, which is just a good ole' down and dirty breakdown fest. The CD puts you in a euphoric mood and then throws you up against the wall, not the smoothest of transitions. The outro to Anthem gives me some chills, and then leads into It Never Ends, which is probably BMTH's best song to date, yet sadly the last heavy melodic song on the CD. It's a real bummer because they seem to do the orchestra-and-metalcore thing quite well but abandon it less than halfway through the CD. F*ck is rather unmemorable. Don't Go is very sweet, with Lights singing melodies everywhere. The rest of the songs are just breakdown after breakdown with the exception of two: Memorial which is an instrumental, and Blessed With A Curse which is a weird spacey electronica thing. There's only one song you desperately need to avoid on this album, and that would be Blacklist. It tries entirely too hard to be brutal and menacing, but it's main riff just feels like it wanders to nowhere, and it has an extremely crappy solo. // 7

Lyrics: Oli is Oli, so you know what to expect. The only thing I really have to say about him is that he sounds exactly the same as he did on Suicide Season, but his lows are surprisingly much better on this record as well as being coherent, but that's more of a production thing than a vocalist getting better type deal. The guest appearances are nice, but short lived, and I honestly can't tell Scogin apart from Sykes in the last track, so there's no point there. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall, this album was something fresh and exciting from the band, but nothing too new to the genre itself. The addition of Lights, strings, electronics and an orchestra are all very nice, but sadly BMTH didn't really work with any of those elements enough to separate them from the pack. I thoroughly enjoy this band and everything it's ever released, but I'll probably only be spinning this for a couple weeks before it just goes on as another CD in my car player. // 6

There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret. Reviewed by: Jako215, on october 11, 2010

Sound: There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It, There Is A Heaven Lets Keep It A Secrete is the third album from Bring Me the Horizon. It is hard to say the band has taken a huge leap forward, but they certainly topped their last album. The guitars are still very heavy and drive the album all the way through. There is lots of typical Bring Me the Horizon chugging going on through this album. The problem though is that after the first few songs the guitars start to get old and sometimes even predictable. The song Blessed With A Curse is a real star on this record. It provides a nice break from the extremely heavy guitars. There are clean parts during the song that really set the mood for the whole song. What really makes this album better than Suicide Season is the use of guest singers and the occasional "electronic synthesizer parts" i.e. Attack! Attack! The first song Crucify Me is a great example of this. It starts of nice and heavy and then transitions into a choppy choir section that leads right back into the heavy comping. The song then slows down and ends with a soft acoustic part with LIGHTS! LIGHTS pops up again in the song Don't Go. You Me At Six singer Josh Franceschi does some vocals on the song Fuck. There are some cool sing along sections through out the album that keep the listener tuned in. Oli's voice is just as irritatingly enjoyable as on the last record. There is a subtle lisp that comes out in his singing. The drums do a nice job of keeping the music in balance. The bass is sometimes lost between everything that is musically going on. The production on the CD is very well done. // 9

Lyrics: There is nothing lyrically revolutionary about There Is A Hell Believe Me I've Seen It. Oliver does do a good job of getting the message out that he has changed his life around. The typical Rock N' Roll themes of sex, love, and loneliness are evident. Nothing too impressive lyrically. Something that will probably irk the listener is a lack of singing. TIAHBISITIAHLKAS could really be something special if Oli sang on some parts as opposed to screaming. // 7

Overall Impression: It took a few listens to get through the whole album in one try. It starts out really strong with the first 5-6 songs but gets a tiny bit stale during the ladder half of the record. I would recommend this album to any one who never heard Bring Me the Horizon before. It definitely tops Suicide Season and is the bands best record yet. Despite a strong performance, if you were looking for something revolutionary from Bring Me the Horizon then you might have to wait for a future record. // 9

There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret. Reviewed by: Metallica_AC/DC, on october 08, 2010

Sound: The time that I really started to notice BMTH's clime in popularity was around five to six months after they released Suicide Season. I have known about them since day one, but I didn't truly get into them until about early summer in 2009. I currently own all of their albums on CD except for this one. In Count Your Blessings, BMTH was very creative, and was amazing in the area of technicality, musicianship, and tempo. The guitar solos were a bit primitive, but hey, no one's perfect. Suicide Season somewhat lacked in the musicianship area. But the band was so creative it blew me away. I also noticed that they started drifting towards metalcore a little bit in that album. Two of the songs were pure metalcore. Now, in their third full length album, they have dropped majorly in musicianship and technicality (except for the drummer, who has gotten much better), they aren't all that tight anymore, and they aren't very creative at all. Oliver has officially f--ked himself over. He screamed the wrong way, and the yelling thing he does is slightly damaging to his throat. So now, all he does is that yelling thing (which is cool, but it gets old really fast). He does growl a line or two in every other song or so. There are two types of songs on this record. There are the really fast, driving (and sometimes) heavy metalcore sounding songs, which I actually like, most of them aren't that bad. But the problem is, is that they all basically sound the same. The other songs are more of a soft, really melodic metalcore sounding songs, which annoy me. They have no creativity, and yelling doesn't sound good with soft music. I would also like to note that the album cover is one of the worst covers I have ever seen. It's just too weird. // 6

Lyrics: I am only going to talk about the songs that stuck out to me in some way. The first song is a longer than normal song. It's one of the softer songs, with a few driving parts with the really high pitched melodic trembolo picking that the guitarist likes to do. Then, at the second half of the song, this annoying girl's voice comes in all digitized (in a very disturbing way) and ruins the whole song. My favorite song off of the record would probably have to be Anthem. The guitars are very simple and not very creative, but the drumming is amazing. This is a song that I would mosh too, and there is some screaming and growling in the song to put the icing on the cupcake. Blacklist is a fairly ok song that has quite a bit of growling in it, and is a good song for the headbangers, but the song is pretty repetitive, and the tempo doesn't change very much. The song Fuck is stupid. There is no creativity or tempo that I know of. But the lyrics are friggen hilarious. // 5

Overall Impression: So overall, the album is pretty crappy for a band like BMTH. The drummer though has improved greatly, so I'll give the thumbs up on that. I am a diehard BMTH fan, and I'm majorly disappointed with this release. For all you metalcore fans out there, it wouldn't hurt to give this album a try, some of you out there might like it. // 6

There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret. Reviewed by: I'mmaBaseball, on october 21, 2010

Sound: For a deathcore-turned-metalcore band, some of the riffs aren't that bad. Sure, you've heard them a thousand times before, but they are delivered with some precision here, especially on "Anthem". "Home Sweet Hole" has a punk rock feel to it, while "Alligator Blood" reminds me of something Hellyeah would come up with. "Visions" and "Blacklist" have a nice groove to it as well, and "Fox And The Wolf" reminds me of Cancer Bats (incidentally friends of BMtH as well). I commend the guitar work on this album, even if it's the same old stuff you've heard from the same metalcore bands before. Jona Weinhofen (I Killed The Prom Queen, Bleeding Through) brings a new sense of aggression for the band. For the most part, however, the album is two guitars taking a back seat to the electronica influences on this album. The drums do their job in keeping the rhythm, and the bass-- wait, was there even bass on this album? Regarding the electronics used on this album, they make Bring Me the Horizon sound like a band who's just experimenting for the sake of experimenting. When Lights sings on "Crucify Me", the electronica sounds annoying, I actually like hearing vocal passages being completed without interruption. It doesn't get much better on "Blacklist", but it's not overly terrible. Admittedly, the best song on this record is the instrumental "Memorial", and it's not just because it lacks Oli Sykes (more on that later). There is a certain ambience that seems to recall Underoath here, and it serves as an interlude for introspection which I can dig. // 6

Lyrics: Whoever told Oli Sykes he was a great "singer" and "lyricist" needs to be dressed up as a pinata, hung upside down by their ankles, and fed to a bunch of hyperactive six year olds. His vocals reminds me of Underoath's Spencer Chamberlain if he stopped trying and was just going through the motions. The intro of "Don't Go" was going fine until that moron ruined it with his "I'M A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION" 'vocals'. The best singer on this album is Josh Scogin of The Chariot on "Fox And The Wolf", but that's not really saying much. For every good lyric on this album, there's at least three more dragging down the quality. Lyrics such as the ones found on "Alligator Blood" ("Let's play a game of Russian roulette, I'll load the gun, you place the bets. Tell me, who will make it out alive.") and "Anthem" ("This is an anthem, so f**king sing. A dedication to the end of everything.") reek of cliche, and the ones that are good are repeated to the point where it becomes tedious (the album title being repeated over and over in "Crucify Me"). And don't get me started on "F**k". Good lord. I think this band would be a lot better without Oli Sykes, he hurts this band musically more than he helps it. If BMTH got someone who could actually scream and write decent lyrics, Oli could probably just appear in promo shots only just to keep his fans happy. But that's just my opinion. // 2

Overall Impression: All in all, I felt really underwhelmed by what this album had to offer. The music is good, but the album is ultimately brought down by cliches, irritating vocals, and a sense of trying too hard. If you're a diehard fan of the band, that's great, each to their own. But if you're looking for something dynamic from a metalcore band, Bring Me The Horizon's latest effort is not one you should be looking into. There is a band, believe me I've heard it. They have a singer, they should keep it a secret. // 4

There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret. Reviewed by: paper dreams, on april 12, 2011

Sound: With each album, BMTH's sound seems to distance itself more and more from the deathcore styling of "Count Your Blessings" but this isn't exactly a bad thing. They're starting to ditch the heavy focus on breakdowns and really put some effort into the entire songs, each one being an achievement in production in its own right. It starts off with the heavy hitter "Crucify Me", and immediately you can tell that they're going for something different here. The use of choirs, strings and synths really help to "thinken-up" their sound, without straying into the territory of bands such as Enter Shikari by really laying down heavy synth tracks, and overall, it's a welcome addition to their sound which generally acts as a kind of seasoning. The way "Memorial" builds up into "Blessed With A Curse" really shows that they're exploring their horizons and creating more of an identity for themselves with their sound, while fans of their older work will be pleased to hear the heavier elements based in songs like "Fuck" and "Alligator Blood" All in all, this album is like nothing they've attempted before, but it still draws inspiration from previous efforts, and I'd say they've vastly improved. // 8

Lyrics: This is a touchy area, mainly because of Oli Sykes. Lots of people hate this band purely because of him and his "Scene" style, however this is a review of the music, not his wardrobe. Oli has definitely improved when compared to his overbearing vocals from "Count Your Blessing" and I'm thankful to see that he's taken another step forward. His lyrics have gained a lot of meaning and deeper layers, and thankfully sound much less like something from an emo kids Diary. He delivers them in a passionate and deliberate manner, and you can tell he's really matured. He's still straying away from his old screaming style, and knows when to up the ante with certain lines. Gang vocals and guest vocalists really help to bring the lyrics and vocals out of their shell, and keep the album diverse, interesting and catchy. // 9

Overall Impression: Now immediately, many of you will completely disregard everything I've just said purely because of this bands reputation as a "poser" metal band. So instead I simply urge you to listen to the album in its entirety just once, and you will come to recognize that this is a beast of a completely different nature when compared to their old work. They're not trying to come across as a brutal deathcore act any more, and even if you still dislike them, from a musical perspective, I think everyone will agree they've improved. It's fair to say that this album just isn't for everyone, but in my opinion, what they've delivered is an intricate and diverse piece of work, helping to identify their sound, push away from old reputations, and produce something meaningful. Bring Me The Horizon have ascended to a new level. I'm not saying they're a cut above every other band now, but they're certainly not in the same playing field when compared to their old work. Again, I urge everyone to at least give it a run through in it's entirety, with a natural approach. They might just surprise you. Be sure to check out: "Crucify Me" "Fuck" "Alligator Blood" "visions" "Memorial" leading into "Blessed With A Curse" // 8

There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret. Reviewed by: dr-g0nz0, on july 14, 2011

Sound: A band surrounded by hate. Why? I don't actually know, maybe it's their visual personna, that makes them easy target? Who knows. All I know is that is a great album, and one that is definitely in my top ten albums from last year. I've never listen to previous BMTH material so I can't really comment on that, but this album is great. Consisting of heavy, ear pounding metal, blended in with some strong melody and abit of electro mixing. Their single "It Never Ends" is a great song; lyrically catchy from the off and probably one of the most melodic songs on the album. While also sticking to the all out balls to the wall metal, with songs like "Alligator Blood". While the album as a whole is brilliant, it did have a couple of weak tracks. I found track 4: "F--k" to lack that little something, something. It doesn't have much of a distinct sound, and while this is a biast opinion, I felt that the "You Me At Six" singer brought the song further down. Just my own preference there, though. Overall, the tracks are heavy, catchy and well worth a listen if your a metal fan. // 8

Lyrics: Lyric writing in this album I found to be supurb, especially "Alligator Blood" and "It Never Ends". His lyrics seem to go for a personal approach, too. His vocal abilities, however, is a different story. He is good at what he does, screaming and shouting, nothing wrong with that at all, but the problem we have on this ablum is a couple of the songs are going for a softer approach, and Olie's vocal screaming doesn't quite fit. Maybe he doesn't think he's good enough to sing, and if that's the case, full respect to him to sticking to what he knows, but they shouldn't be doing softer songs if that is the case. "Don't Go" is probably the song that takes the biggest hit in the clashing department, it just sounds like a very disjointed song because of the vocals. The female singer, Lights, however, does save the song from being a total disaster, added a nice layer of melody to the track. Overall the lyrics themselves are brilliant. Very well written, but due to Ollie only have a limited amount of potential with his voice, it holds some of the tracks back. // 7

Overall Impression: A great album! It's a metal album, but with little bits of added spice to set it apart from your generic metal album. Supurb guitar and drum work, and when Ollie sticks to what he knows the songs sore to epic proportions. This album was a massive suprise to me, as I wasn't expecting a great deal, to be honest, but the joke was on me as it was a strong album, and definitely one of the best metal albums to come out last year. It's good to see metal bands trying out different things. // 8

Comments