This Is What The Edge Of Your Seat Was Made For review by Bring Me the Horizon

• Released: Oct 20, 2005
Bring Me the Horizon: This Is What The Edge Of Your Seat Was Made For

Bring Me The Horizon bring a unique sound to the ears of the listener. They seem to be clashing with a few of the heavier genres of today's music, the few most noticable are metalcore, thrash and hardcore. The band formed in 2004 from the ashes of other failed bands in their local area of Sheffield. They wrote what they wanted to hear and play and gigged constantly to be heard. Surely enough, people soon turned heads and noticed the impact this band were setting. Bring Me The Horizon have helped improve their fanbase through MySpace and have gathered thousands of fans upon the worldwide popular site. Though this debut 18-minute long EP doesn't really feature many clean vocals, the screaming and growling that Oli Sykes brings to the record and the band are truly spectacular. But with the lack of clean vocals, this may not appeal to everyone. But with pounding drum beats, dirty distorted guitar tones, and low heavy bass lines, this makes Bring Me The Horizon and a juggernaut of a band and a force to be reckoned with. Many metal and screamo fans will be pleased with the sound it delivers.

Oli Sykes lyrics seem to be from a very dark and gothic retrospective. It seems very obvious that he has a lot of hate and demons that he wants to get off of his chest. In the opening track 'RE: They Have No Reflections', the closing lyrics are: "I hate all my friends!". Not the most pleasant and welcoming statement to make. But it gets his anger across and the impression this band are trying to set. Personally I think the lyrics are amazing. He writes about various different events and situations we go through in everyday life and tells them in his own original way, but still gets his message across to the listener. Oli Sykes lets you know that the world is not a pretty place to be in, and it's not all flowers, love and sunshine all the time.

For a debut 4-track EP, This Is What The Edge Of Your Seat Was Made For is one motherload of hate, anger and power. Though it only has 4 tracks that last about 18 minutes long, it is a powerful debut and one of the best debuts to be released in a long long time. Once I listened to this EP for the first time I just couldn't stop. I still listen to it constantly to this day and Bring Me The Horizon are one of the best bands out that are in their genre. All 4 tracks on this EP are very impressive. 'Traitors Never Play Hangman' sets a form of anger into your system you never thought existed. Even the title of the EP itself tells you what to expect from the CD. The thing that I love most about this album is the fact that all the tracks are all equally impressive in their own way. They all each have their own touch which makes them their own. The one thing I hate about this EP is nothing to serious, it's the fact that it has only 4 tracks and only lasts 18 minutes long. But for the price of 5.99 it's a bargain! If I were to ever have this album stolen from me or if I had lost it then I would not give it a second thought, I would either hunt the theif down and smash their face in or I would buy another copy A.S.A.P. If you're a fan of metal/metalcore/thrash/hardcore/screamo then I would definitley class this as an essential purchase to add into your music collection!

irockonguitar
    really really good review, i understood everything you said but go on purevolume.com or myspace music and listen to the band 'as blood turns black' they sound EXACTLY like BMTH, all i can say, is their sound iss definatly not 'genuine' or 'unique' listen to their new album it has chenged my way of looking at music forever!!
    jaymyvendetta
    To be completely honest i despise this band. It's not really my preffered style of music =P But their open-open-dischord chugging is repetitive and boring. There are many better bands around at the moment.
    ilovehim
    The meanings that are written in the CD cover about the lyrics make it all the more better
    confinedforever
    why doesn't everyone put the excuse of there looks aside and listen to the music becuase its great!! a lot of talent in this band and there will be more, the will rise to become one of the biggest deathcore bands around!!
    damm_punks
    To irockonguitar please can you give me some info on how to find mp3s/cds or anything because i cant find any anywhere..and also if you like bring me the horizon you should try PenKnifeLoveLife as thtey are like them to thanks
    Haunted_Devil
    PenKnifeLoveLife are sort of similar. But I suggest bands such as The Black Dahlia Murder, Killswitch Engage, Norma Jean, and I Killed The Prom Queen if you do like this band.
    path_to_take
    to jay... why would you come and read a bmth review if you "despise the band" why waste your time telling people that? just a question you need to ask your little head.
    skellyscribbles
    The album is brilliant, but I want to punch this EP in the arm very hard and tell it not to sound so bad. I cant possibly explain how many people are put off BMTH by listening to "RE:They have no reflections", its silly.
    calgarydude12
    i just want to know why people would go out of their way just to say this albums is shit. I just dont get it...
    xXSamueLXx
    to jaymyvendetta: you're an idiot... bring me the horizon has a LOT more to their guitar than just open chugging. you're obviously one of those dickheads who judge every kind of music by the technicality of the guitar. there's a LOT more to music (especially this kind) than just shredding and bullshit crap. bring me the horizon a lightyears ahead in talent than everyone else out there in their scene. like i said before... you're an idiot. oh, and if its not ur 'preffered style' of music... why the FUCK are you reviewing this???? **** yourself
    bassboy92
    this was a good cd but irockonguitar did u mean as blood runs black is a band like bmth cuz i dont think iv heard of as blood turns black
    What's a genre?
    This is a good EP, but why it's got a 10 and Suicide Season and There Is A Hell... have got 7's is beyond me!
    jesusofpaign
    I wish more people would rate and comment, so we could get a good, diverse group of review and opinions. Reviews and opinions from JUST the big fans are going to be incredibly too biased to be of any help at all.
    alkaline_aiden
    This bands not doing something new... at first impressions, dillinger escape plan n atreyu are doin something similiar but not to the level of BMTH there screaming is beyond understanding and there bringin in big crowds n dedicated fans ,they must be doing something right which in my eyes is a different approach to hardcore death-metal whatever you choose to label it mixing a randy rhoads esc style to drop B with odd rhythms in a style fitting Dream theatre(even though i hate them i will mention them for your gain)without deliberatly using different time sigs to sound different but still fit to standard music rules, this band leaves that formal approach and make ****ing amazing music