Ivy Review

artist: Broken Image date: 12/25/2007 category: compact discs
Broken Image: Ivy
Release Date: Jul 20, 2005
Genres: Emo, Screamo
They are well known for their eye-opening stage presence and contagious sound that they describe as an adrenaline filled assailment of energy.
 9.4
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Ivy Reviewed by: DarkDallasNight, on december 25, 2007

Sound: Released on July 20th, 2005 this CD was a great release from a band who has evolved from an emo/screamo band to a pretty amazing and popular band aka We The Kings. Their sound is pretty much clean vocals (90%) and a slight hint of scream (10%) every now and then which is great because a lot of bands have overused that singing style thus making this a pretty nice and good CD to listen to. The drumming on this album is great; the guitars are nice; the bass is great; and the vocals are great. The guitar work on this CD is pretty cool because they have a lot of picking riffs and the breakdowns are also pretty smooth and intricate hence breaking the monotony that some other bands convey in their music. Their is also a really good piano ballad on this CD which is really catchy and well written. For an unsigned band (during this time), this band's CD is produced really good and the sound quality is subpurb; it sounds as good as a major label release. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD is pretty good, pretty much really catchy and nothing corny on this album. Travis and Hunter have really good voices which is probably the reason why they have transcended to a power-pop band, but I must say that I love the lyrics on this album. The lyrics are well written and pretty damn mature, from subjects such as long distanced relationships to songs about hope, this CD is nice. The actual music and lyrics mix very well and what more can I say it's good. // 9

Overall Impression: The album art is dope and some of the most impressive songs include the piano driven ballad: "The Distance That Killed Us", the catchy "My Ghost", the great "Part Of Me", and the "Drum Solo" which is exactly as its name implies a pretty dope drum solo. Overall, I must say that it is pretty good CD that has a lot of great singles. Plus, if you want to hear what We the Kings sounded like a few years then you should get this CD. It is a great CD which shows how much they have grown and how their music has evolved. All in all, I must say that I prefer Broken Image's old stuff to their new sound. If this CD entices you then I encourage you guys/girls to give it a try and if you like this CD try their "Friendship Is Such A Touchy Subject" CD which was released when they changed their name to De Soto, which I must say is what I really enjoy from them but if your more into old school emo then give this a shoot or the Desoto album because the Desoto album was when they were moving towards a more powerpop friendly genre but they still incorporated a lot of thier emo roots. // 8

Comments