Into The Mouth Of Badd(d)ness review by Brown Brigade

• Released: Sep 25, 2007
Brown Brigade: Into The Mouth Of Badd(d)ness

For those of you who are unaware, Brown Brigade is a metal band consisting of Dave Baksh, formerly of Sum 41, his cousin, Vaughn Lal, and two of his friends. Sum 41 fans will find this album a lot like Does This Look Infected, and fans of Iron Maiden, Metallica and Megadeth will thoroughly enjoy this album. You can especially see Maiden in this album, including the fact that the guys covered 'Hallowed Be Thy Name" on here. This is the album that every metalhead who liked Chuck really wanted. This album has everything; a storyline (consisting of the Brown Knight and his pursuit of justice), blasting Marshall stacks, Gibson guitars and screaming leads reminiscent of the good old days of British heavy metal. Dave expresses a lot of musical freedom on this disk in comparison to Sum 41 disks; this guy can shred. Songs such as "Make Way Fe De Fout' Dem" and "Purebread" will clarify just how good he is. The other players aren't too shabby, either; it should be especially noted that Johnny No-Triggers is an awesome drummer. You may have your preconceived notions about a punk player going metal, but these guys are the true heavy metal revival you shredders were hoping for.

First off, Dave is not only a freakin' sweet guitarist, he has an incredible voice for the genre. It blends in with the music absolutely perfectly, with the ability to have that metal growl on deeper notes and to eliminate the rasp on higher notes. The lyrics are quite socialist in view; Dave constantly sings of how the poor are marginalized, and other related socio-political commentaries and viewpoints. If he isn't singing about that, then it's pretty much amusing, nonsensical lyrics.

While Brown Brigade have made an amazing album, one has to wonder if the only reason it's so amazing is because it's been done before. My view is that they've taken classic metal and added a very slight touch of punk, with afair bit of classic thrash metal for edge. To me, every song stands out, and it would be difficult to pick out only a few. There's nothing really to hate about the album; it's the thing I always wanted to hear from Dave in Sum 41, but couldn't due to the pop-punk nature of the band. Obviously, if stolen, I'd be seriously pissed; I probably wouldn't get it again, considering it's on my computer, but if the files ever got deleted, I'd definitely buy it again, no question. To conclude, if you like metal, get this album, end of story. It's the old-style metal, updated slightly, but not so much that it's called 'selling out.

SL!!!
    skaguitarist53 wrote: First off, Dave is not only a freakin' sweet guitarist opionated much?
    Yeah, but .. he actually is.
    mattsdf
    nasedase
    flxz
    This album is great, I really love the sound. Wish there were more tabs for it though
    iaberis
    you must have been listening to the wrong album dude... the one I listened had not so good vocals, bad sound, very low originality and something lacking in the sound... I'd give it 5
    jincasa
    these guys are AMAZING live! they played a show in my city and i swear, best gig ive EVER seen
    MetalBassist93
    hobo467
    "...if stolen, I'd be seriously pissed; I probably wouldn't get it again, considering it's on my computer, but if the files ever got deleted, I'd definitely buy it again, no question." Uhh what? By that I meant that when I got the CD, I uploaded the files onto my computer. Therefore, it wouldn't be necessary to get the CD again because all the files are saved on my comp. Sorry for confusing you.
    Guitar_Jester
    It's awesome! In my opiniun it's better then Sum 41, but I'm more like a metal guy anyway
    SL!!!
    Hahaha, nice. I'm going to get this. I totally forgot about it till now.
    Metal_Rich
    Laslow wrote: Uhh what? are you retarded?
    +1 I'll have to check this out, Purebread is a brilliant song.
    Golem29
    T.O.
    nasedase wrote: mattsdf wrote: MetalBassist93 wrote: sum 41's older stuff was probly better than brown brigade it wouldve been pretty awsome if dave stuck around for underclass hero tho, cause then he would have put his new sound with sum 41's No, they would not have. Dave has always loved metal, and it has always been his true passion. When Dave was with Sum 41, he never made any of the songs (only the solo's), Deryk is the only songwriter in the band, everyone else just added a small touch of their own. Therfore, Underclass hero would be the exact same, with or without Brownsound. IMO, I'm glad he left, because this is WAY better than Sum 41's last album. And, they put on an amazing show. Easily, one of my favorite albums out today. I get the feeling that Deryck was lying big time when he said that he wrote most of the stuff. Did you hear how horrible underclass hero is? Did you? That album has plagiarism written all over it. I think that Dave wrote a lot of stuff too and if he were there for underclass hero it would have been 10 times better
    You shouldn't trust your feeling. Deryck was never lying. Underclass hero is how it is because they chose to come out with more personal stuff in the songs. Aswell as they were gonna be more radio-kind. In their next album they have said that it is gonna be more in the direction of the album Chuck. So you'll see then if it was Deryck or Dave who wrote the stuff.
    MrFredSkywalker
    underclass hero uses the same lyrics over again in all songs. i kinda like it, but dave doesn't. i'm glad he left sum 41, he was getting depressed by doing pop punk