Accident Of Birth review by Bruce Dickinson

• Released: Jun 3, 1997
Bruce Dickinson: Accident Of Birth

Bruce Dicksinson left Iron Maiden and started a solo career. In my opinion his solo career started quite bad, with Balls To Picasso, Tatooed Millioanre or Skunkworks, but when Accident Of Birth was released I was surprised. Such a perfect album compared with any earlyer cd by Dickinson. The sound is incredible, of course there are songs with less good sound and music but nothing is perfect. Bruce wrote about himself in Man Of Sorrows track 7, his childhood wad very sad. Accident Of Birth has a heavier sound than for example Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (Iron Maiden) but it's still great.

The lyrics are good, very good. they match with the music quite well and you get a nice feeling when listening to it. Bruce Dickinson leads vocals in his solo band as well as in iron maiden. He is simply fantastic, a god in singing. His high notes are world known, (his nickname is really the "Air Raid Siren") but he can sing very calmly too.

I think that Accident Of Birth can be compared only with high quality music. It's too good to be compared with hip hop or rap IMO. It's very close to beat Metallicas Ride The Lightning, but I cant decide wich one I like more. My favorite songs are the Dark Side Of Aquarius, Omega, Accident Of Birth and the single Road To Hell. What I love with this album is the perfect vocals by Bruce and Adrians guitar playing. There is simply nothing to hate with this album, if I would loose it I would definitely buy one more!

Kapteinen
    Very good review! but that "Man of sorrows" is about Bruces childhood is wrong. In interviews, Bruce Dickinson has stated that the song's lyrics are about the occult English writer Aleister Crowley. The repeated expression "Do what thou wilt!" refers to the motto of the Abbey of Thelema, which the French Renaissance writer Franois Rabelais invented in his philosophical work Gargantua. In this abbey, men and women live together in peace and harmony according to the principle: In all their rule and strictest tie of their order there was but this one clause to be observed, Do What Thou Wilt; because men that are free, well-born, well-bred, and conversant in honest companies, have naturally an instinct and spur that prompteth them unto virtuous actions, and withdraws them from vice, which is called honour. Inspired by Rabelais' ideas, Crowley founded in 1920 a commune called the Abbey of Thelema in Sicily. The title Man of Sorrows refers to a passage in the Bible, in the book of Isaiah, which describes a man who takes on the sins of all mankind. According to Catholic teaching, this figure foreshadows Jesus, who died for mankind to redeem them: He was despised and forsaken of men, A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; And like one from whom men hide their face He was despised, and we did not esteem Him. Surely our griefs He Himself bore, And our sorrows He carried; Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, Smitten of God, and afflicted.2 But away from that you had a good view all trough