The Chemical Wedding review by Bruce Dickinson

• Released: Jul 14, 1998
Bruce Dickinson: The Chemical Wedding

What can you say about Bruce Dickinson? I mean the guy is a living legend. Not content with flying planes, hosting a radio show and playing in the best band of all time (I'm so biased), he releases solo albums every once in a while. Basically, these offerings have ranged from brilliant to bad but you can say that 'The Chemical wedding' is Bruce at the top of his game. Did I spoil the end result for you? This record was made when Bruce was still out of maiden. The sound of this album is quite heavy which is quite a departure from what he done with maiden. Rumour has it that they threaded bass strings onto their guitars. Heavy enough? I think the production is a bit dated though in comparision to 'Tyranny of souls'. That whole album is just more clearer or something.

The lyrics are incredible. I've said this before (I did an anonymous review for 'tyranny of souls') but this man is a genuis. The whole concept of the album is about the writings of William blake and the failed art of alchemy. Some songs have poetry at the end of them which is a really good idea. The lyrics totally balance with the heavyness of the music as they are quite dark. The music behind Chemical wedding's chorus is so stunning (a weird phaser type effect). The Singing is amazing. I don't mean to kiss this guys ass, but he deserves to be praised or something.

I say that this album is my joint favourite Bruce Dickinson album (along with 'Tyranny'). The only gripe is the production. The guitars sound a little muddy in places. There are some amazing songs on this album. My favourites are 'Chemical Wedding', 'The Tower', 'Jerusalem' and 'The Alchemist'. I'd definitely buy it again. I urge you to do the same (get 'Tyranny of souls' as well). Listen to it a few times. I didn't really like it the first time I heard it but I am idiot. Thanks for reading!