The Chemical Wedding Review

Bruce Dickinson: The Chemical Wedding
Release Date: Jul 14, 1998
Label: CMC International
Genres: Heavy Metal
The Chemical Wedding continued to provide a welcome sanctuary for disgruntled Iron Maiden fans, suffering through the all-too-long mediocrity of the Blaze Bayley era.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.7
 9.7
 9.6
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
The Chemical Wedding Reviewed by: Alucard_Nos4atu, on june 06, 2006

Sound: When I first got this album I was amazed, at first I was a little scared that if I buy this album it wouldn't be as great but I was wrong. This album was before Bruce rejoined in with Iron Maiden, and it was also the return for Adrian who joined Bruce in this album. The sound is unbelievable, I loved the heavy riffs and solo by Roy Z and Adrian in King Crimson, and the slow paced of Jeurusalem with the combination of acoustics. // 10

Lyrics: Bruce's voice is amazing in this album, The Chemical Wedding, The Tower, and Killing Floor were great songs, which I believe showed Bruce's strong points. Machine Men had a great collaboration with Adrian Smith and Bruce. The Alchemist kinda revisits the main theme to Maiden's Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son album. Need I mention this album was re-released in 2005 with 3 extra great tracks, like Real World. // 9

Overall Impression: As I was listening through the lyrics and song, I saw the Chemical Wedding and The Alchemist have some of the same lyrics. This is one of Bruce's best album, and some background info in the 2005 version of Chemical Wedding about how Cradle of Filth made a prediction that Bruce would return. The Album art I can say is Beautiful, and on the back the image will return in Bruce Dickinson Anthology later to come out in the US. // 10

The Chemical Wedding Reviewed by: monkey of doom, on june 06, 2006

Sound: What can you say about Bruce Dickinson? I mean the guy is a living legend. Not content with flying planes, hosting a radio show and playing in the best band of all time (I'm so biased), he releases solo albums every once in a while. Basically, these offerings have ranged from brilliant to bad but you can say that 'The Chemical wedding' is Bruce at the top of his game. Did I spoil the end result for you? This record was made when Bruce was still out of maiden. The sound of this album is quite heavy which is quite a departure from what he done with maiden. Rumour has it that they threaded bass strings onto their guitars. Heavy enough? I think the production is a bit dated though in comparision to 'Tyranny of souls'. That whole album is just more clearer or something. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are incredible. I've said this before (I did an anonymous review for 'tyranny of souls') but this man is a genuis. The whole concept of the album is about the writings of William blake and the failed art of alchemy. Some songs have poetry at the end of them which is a really good idea. The lyrics totally balance with the heavyness of the music as they are quite dark. The music behind Chemical wedding's chorus is so stunning (a weird phaser type effect). The Singing is amazing. I don't mean to kiss this guys ass, but he deserves to be praised or something. // 10

Overall Impression: I say that this album is my joint favourite Bruce Dickinson album (along with 'Tyranny'). The only gripe is the production. The guitars sound a little muddy in places. There are some amazing songs on this album. My favourites are 'Chemical Wedding', 'The Tower', 'Jerusalem' and 'The Alchemist'. I'd definitely buy it again. I urge you to do the same (get 'Tyranny of souls' as well). Listen to it a few times. I didn't really like it the first time I heard it but I am idiot. Thanks for reading! // 10

Comments