Tyranny Of Souls review by Bruce Dickinson

• Released: May 24, 2005
Bruce Dickinson: Tyranny Of Souls

The production on 'Tyranny Of Souls' is amazing! Just like Priest's 'Angel Of Retribution' (also produced by Roy Z) the record sounds fantastically heavy due to the high production levels. Everybody knows that Bruce Dickinson always sings brilliantly but I'd say this album shows off his voice more than 'Dance Of Death' ever did. The songs seem to breath a bit more easily and suit Bruce's voice easily. I haven't heard a record that is heavier than this, seriously! Songs range from Heavy metal (Abduction) to hard rock (Devil On A Hog) to mellow acoustic moments (Navigate The Seas Of The Sun). It is a varied album so its very interesting to listen to. Oh yeah, Roy Z a shred geetar god? Hell yeah!

The lyrics, as usual, are utterly mind blowing. Dickinson is a complete genuis as people will know from 'Chemical Wedding.' The general lyrics consist of Brucey's fascination with hell and death (we wouldn't have it any other way). My favourite lyrics are in 'Kill Devil Hill,' the title track (where he sings lines from macbeth) and 'Power Of The Sun.'

I'd say that 'Chemical wedding' is Bruce's shining moment but this is still absolutely brilliant. My favourite tracks are the title track, 'Power Of The Sun' (any Maiden fans will love it), 'Navigate The Seas Of The Sun,' Abduction' and 'Kill Devil Hill.' But all the songs are good even Believil (which is quite frankly weird). I think that if Adrian Smith was in the album it would be better (kick ass guitarist) but I am happy with the record as it is. Brilliant songs, amazing guitar riffs this album has it all. Highly recommended.