Tyranny Of Souls review by Bruce Dickinson

• Released: May 24, 2005
Bruce Dickinson: Tyranny Of Souls

First of all, to be honest I got a little edgy when I heard Bruce taking time away from iron maiden and making a solo album for some reason. I thought that if it wasn't anything short from brilliant then I would be very dissapointed with the decision. But when I heard Abduction I completely shut my mouth, and I was very, very shocked. This was a heavey ass album, what those guys say about the production quality was right. It's the clearest I have ever heard Bruces voice in all this career. Every instrument was perfectly equilized to the point where you could hear every little thing come through your speakers. As far as sound and quality goes, Bruce did nothing but short up and I am thankful for that.

Steve's lyrics that he wrote for Bruce in the past have always been excellent, but to be honest it was a fresh breath of air to here an entire album of just Bruce. He had already proved his talent with words with Maiden in songs here and there (when Steve would let him), and he took the oppurtunity to really write his heart out on this record. You can tell by the words that he has a brilliant mind, and that he has fascinated with philisophical things such as afterlife and death. His voice is still amazing, a lot musicians at his age just lose it and can't do it anymore. The way his voice worked perfectly over Roy Z's tone really shocked me, I had never heard Bruce sing over that hard of a sound before and it was a wonderful break. Writing in the songs "Abduction" and "Navigate The Seas Of The Sun" were amazing.

I think in the beginning I was sure that this record wouldn't turn out well and that it would just sound like more Maiden. But I really feel like I was proved wrong. He carried their style and merged it with this group, and came up with something a lot different than Maiden. If you enjoy heavy metal, Maiden, or anything else he has done, this record is an obsolute must! Don't be me and doubt it without even giving it a listen. If anything it will keep me tied over until the next Maiden album comes out. Great for the collection, I give it a ten again.

Sendrith
    Awesome album by Bruce, however I personally prefer Accident of Birth.
    Kapteinen
    Tyranny of Souls was Bruce's comeback after joining Maiden, and i think he did an awsome job! I love the "Mars Within" end when it bursting into "Abduction". Roy-Z made some killer rifs in that album. But i missed Adrian Smith's guitar that played on "Accident of Birth" and "The Chemical Wedding". But having Adrian inn again would probably make it sound a bit like Maiden.. So it's actualy perfect with only Roy there. God review! You got metal in your blood!