Live In Dublin [DVD] review by Bruce Springsteen

• Released: Jun 5, 2007
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 8
Bruce Springsteen: Live In Dublin [DVD]

After having seen the sessions band twice before watching this, I was impressed by how far they came since I first saw them. Instead of taking another E Street Band tour, Springsteen decided to get folk players from New York City and bring then on tour playing folk songs and folk renditions of his catalog. The 18-piece band made for a powerful, loud, and energetic show.

Content — 9
Featuring the last three shows of the tour in Dublin, the DVD takes the best of these shows and compiles them into one heck of a concert. You can tell that it's compiled maybe once or twice but it is so worth it. With a mix of Springsteen's old songs drastically re-done like "Blinded by the Light" with acoustic guitars and a trumpet and a waltzy "If I Should Fall Behind"(which I am not a fan of) as well as some fuller versions of "Growing Up" and "Long Time Comin'". He also puts in some great folk songs like "Oh Mary Don't You Weep" and "Pay Me My Money Down". Highlights include an elongated version of "Open All Night" as well as the debut of new songs "How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live" and "American Land"

Production Quality — 8
One issue of the DVD is the camerawork isn't as great as it is on other Springsteen DVDs like Live in Barcelona and Live in New York City. Also they close up on people that aren't doing anything like during Mark Pender's trumpet solo they close up on Charlie Giordano who is doing nothing on the keyboard. The sound quality is great however and you can tell that it is a compilation just once.

What's so great about this DVD is how Springsteen can play various genres of music and still sound great. With his huge band, he takes the role of bandleader of the large folk band. There are only 2 songs that I can't stand (If I Should Fall Behind and My Oklahoma Home). If it were stolen/lost I would easily buy it again.