Live In Dublin [DVD] Review

artist: Bruce Springsteen date: 03/03/2009 category: compact discs
Bruce Springsteen: Live In Dublin [DVD]
Release Date: June 5, 2007
The DVD features 23 songs drawn from the band's performances in Dublin, Ireland at The Point on November 17, 18 and 19, 2006. Songs include fan favorites from 'The Seeger Sessions,' radical interpretations from the Springsteen songbook and rare songs appearing for the first time on any Springsteen release. The DVD captures the band during the finale of its multi-leg 2006 tour.
 Content: 9
 Production Quality: 8.5
 8.9
Live In Dublin [DVD] Reviewed by: cuige, on june 26, 2007

Sound: Let me set the scene for you. The Point Theatre, Ireland. Thousands of adrenaline pumped Irish packed inside. Out steps a sixteen piece band armed with fiddles, trumpets, guitars and much more. To lead them then is one of the greatest performers of modern times: Bruce Springsteen. To start the night off they belt out Springsteen's own "Atlantic City". They end with a captivating rendition of "American Land". Along the way they perform Seegar classics such as "Old Dan Tucker", "Erie Canal", "Mary Don't You Weep" and many more. Mixed in is some Springsteen masterpieces like "Highway Patrolman" and "Growin' Up". For me one of the best moments was "If I Should Fall Behind" turned duet between Bruce and his wife Patti Scialfa. Consider this: I never made it to any of the three nights the Sessions band played in Dublin because of the high demand for tickets but I still feel like I've experienced it through the magic of this DVD. Beautifully directed and filmed in high definition the Bruce Springsteen experience is driven home through your own tv screen. The sound is fantastic, if a little unbalanced in places due to the huge amounts of insturments on stage, but all the same the folk, rock, country sound is all captured brilliantly. // 9

Overall Impression: When compared to the actual studio album "The Seegar Sessions" we can see, or hear, just how far this band has come. When listening to the album one can hear that it was a band beginning and the songs, nonetheless brilliant, were bare. These shows a were towards the end of the European tour and Bruce and his band have accomplished a fuller sounds. This is due to the addition of singers and musicians since the recording but also because of how much more comfortable the band has become with each other. This togetherness is portrayed through the DVD and is one of the most impressive things on the compilation. I love nearly everything about this dvd. I strongly recommend pricking your ears up for the performance of "Open All Night". 9 minutes long, full of vocal and insturment solos it is one of the stand out tracks. It was almost a risk to play songs like "When The Saints Go Marching In" and "This Little Light Of Mine" because of the number of times they have been played by different artists they have become almost clichd. Never fear for both are fantastic. The former is slowed down so it is sung like a serious, emotional song while the latters energy is pumped back into it by Bruce and co. Again I wish "John Henry" had been included and there are perhaps one too many shots of Patti looking scornfully at Bruce rather than the minority players such as the brilliant bass player Jeremy Chatzky but all the same I recommend you run out the shops right now and buy this DVD if you haven't already. Robbers beware. I have my copy well gaurded. Overall a great cd, performed by great musicians, led by a great presence, in front of a, or three, great audiences. Enjoy! // 9

Live In Dublin [DVD] Reviewed by: brucehead, on march 03, 2009

Sound: After having seen the sessions band twice before watching this, I was impressed by how far they came since I first saw them. Instead of taking another E Street Band tour, Springsteen decided to get folk players from New York City and bring then on tour playing folk songs and folk renditions of his catalog. The 18-piece band made for a powerful, loud, and energetic show. // 9

Overall Impression: What's so great about this DVD is how Springsteen can play various genres of music and still sound great. With his huge band, he takes the role of bandleader of the large folk band. There are only 2 songs that I can't stand (If I Should Fall Behind and My Oklahoma Home). If it were stolen/lost I would easily buy it again. // 9

Comments