The Shredding Tears review by Bryan Scary

• Released: Oct 31, 2006
Bryan Scary: The Shredding Tears

An amazing and intricate blend of 60's pop symphony and smooth and clever songs, coming into an hour in length with 15 songs in total, with no time to waste, I have to say, Bryan Scary - The Shredding Tears. Beautifully embellished songs all created by one man, Bryan Scary, a 23 year old with only one release, and it's absolute perfection. Each song reaches it's opus in the right timing, one of my favorite being the breakdown in Operaland, one of the more prog-pop-rock. The album squeezes everything it needs in one breath with nothing to spare, in fact, when you're done with the album, chances are when you gasp for air again, you'll want to listen again.

I have some personal thoughts of what the lyrics are about. Definitely a concept album, signaled by the multiple times Bryan sings his new band's name, "The Shredding Tears." "Straight from our hearts to your ears, it's The (fabulous) Shredding Tears," said at the beginning and end of the album. "The Shredding Tears have come to play." "The gentleman on the piano is the vocalist from The Shredding Tears, let's give a round of applause." Right now, I'm incredibly unsure, I think the album is told by George, who narrates the tracks. It has to do with death as well, there's an Up and Over Stairwell (heaven), and there's Hell. Heaven seems to be the place of profit, while Hell is for consolement from loneliness. Don't worry, as dark as it may sound, the lyrics are inredibly lighthearted and warm, strangely. Oh and his voice is fab. He can sing low, high, sideways, up and over, down, and a million other different ways. My favorite moments are the "Pink Floyd"-esque cartoony shouts that can be found a lot in The Up and Over Stairwell.

If it compares to only one band and album, it's The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's. It's a refreshing mix of bouncy The Beatles, Queen, Pink Floyd, and ELO. All of the songs have their own qualities, I sincerely cannot pick. Do I love the album, with obsession, almost passion? Absolutely. If stolen, I'd kill the person who stole it because it was a pain in the ass getting the real album, meaning, not from iTunes.

Kylster
    Doesn't matter if he did or not. With the beauty of the Interweb, we can listen to his whole album without paying a dime. Not that I'm advocating internet piracy or anything...
    kinksrule
    WOW, I just bought this album yesterday and I am completely floored! Best album I have heard since Pink Floyd's "Animals". All 15 songs are gorgeously arranged and incredibly engaging. This may stay in my player for weeks to come. Excellent find!!!!
    it consumes me
    Yah, thats what I thought. Damn, this ugly user score has to rise. This album is no 6.2. But it does look like more 10s were put in, considering it used to be at 3. WTF is wrong? lol. I've been listening to this thing for over a month now. Pure perfection.
    kinksrule
    Anything below an 8 or 9 for this album is outrageously low. This album is easily a 10 and I have not stopped listening to it since I bought it. Apparently, Mr.Scary's live performance is brilliant as well. I read some reviews online that were raving about the experience of seeing Bryan Scary and The Shredding Tears live.
    it consumes me
    Yeah, I have to see The Shredding Tears so bad. The music is just so energetic and has so many parts that ar like, "Wow." For instance, the first track, right when he sings, "Take a stab at the sun," right at "Sun," the music breaks out and just makes such an outstanding texture.