Black Butterfly review by Buckcherry

• Released: Sep 16, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Buckcherry: Black Butterfly

The best way I can think of describing this album is Hinder playing Velvet Revolver covers. I am usually a fan of Buckcherry and have seen them live, however I feel that they have left behind what I enjoyed about them in that they where a none stop sex, drugs and attitude band but now they seem to of been over taken by the urge to show their emotions. The album doe's have some stand out moments such as "Too Drunk" (replaced by "Highway Star" on some released) which I believe maybe a bad move in that perhaps adding the very good Deep Purple cover in place of one of the ballads like Cream.

Josh Todd brings everything you expect from him with his trade mark snarl that had him ear marked for the first Velvet Revolver gig, and at times his vocals show something that makes me feel that Slash and the boys missed out. The lyrics are a lot more emotional than in the past which has its positives in that it shows a different side to them, but sadly a side I didn't want to see. I was expecting a follow up of party rock which at times it shows with "Too Drunk" and rescue me, but I also find that his vocals are at time too quiet and his trademark screech's are hidden behind the rest of the band.

My ovverall impression of the album is that they have been dragging in a different direction and then decided that they need to appease their original fans and added in the harder rock songs. But even they seem forced as if they are now been a cliche of themselves and following a more Hinder root and at times similar to Bon Jovi's "country" pop rock especially on track "Rose". Songs that did impress me tho where "Too Drunk" and "Rescue Me", and after searching for it "Highway Star" which is a very very good cover and if it was on this album in place of one of the more somber ballads I would recommend this album. Unfortunately it wasn't so by all means head to Itunes and purchase them 3 tracks. But other then that I would give it a miss.

Mainer
    Josh Todd kinda sucks live. But in the studio their great. This album isn't as good as 15 or Buckcherry, but not bad